Search Fishin.com

Thread: Mill Creek

Post Thanks / Like

Mill Creek

Decided to do a cross border raid into Illinois this morning, going to Mill Creek Park. Winter prices are in effect, $6, and the lake has lots of fish, although keepers are tough to come by sometimes.

Wind was the major factor today, I just let it blow me into the back of coves and began getting fish at about the 4ft mark all the way to 1ft of water. Grass was the key, fish were sitting down in the grass and you had to entice them to come out.

In the 3ft to 4ft depth, the lure that produced was a Lucky Craft D7 lipless crank in red color, and a Strike King RedEye Shad in sexy shad. You had to burn it over grass to get a bite.
    http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lucky...html#multiview

From 2ft to 1ft the best lure was a Ima Roumba Crankbait in bluegill color.
    http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Ima_R...html#multiview

From 1ft to the grass line the Lucky Craft Fat BDS 1 Crankbait in American Shad color.
    http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lucky...e-LCFATBD.html

Ended up with 6 keepers today with another 15 fish, even the shorts were over 12" and really getting fat from gorging on the shad.

Try this on a lake near you, you should be able to get some good bites right now. Only 1 other boat on the water fishing the whole lake today, when I pulled up to the guy, it was my neighbor who lives a block away from me. He was throwing jigs on secondary points and wasn't catching nothing.

ole top

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mill Creek

Sounds like you figgered em out what no rattletrap

Top stay in touch...........

heading to Newton 12-13-14th Joe G

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mill Creek

Joe,

I did catch some on the rattle bait. The fish that were willing to bite were buried in grass in 3ft of water or so. It was hard to burn the trap over the grass in that shallow of water.

That Roumba bait is a big wobbler that you get a lot of action on but don't have to burn it, and it won't go but about 6 inches deep. They really hammer that bait too, it is an awesome strike.

The Rick Clunn wake bait runs even more shallow, I burn it over grass and it won't go probably 3 inches deep. Caught a musky on that bait and some nice bass until they knocked the feathers off the tail hooks. Never got another bite when them white feathers were gone. I tried a treble with red feathers cause that is all I had and never got another bite.

I am off work the 12th and 13th, but work at 6am on the 14th. I really enjoyed the white bass over there last time. Just bought some great rain gear at Gander Mountain. They had a $175 original price down to $97 on a top of the line water proof winter coat.

I decided to upgrade my rain gear, since I froze to death on my Wisconsin smallmouth trip, in July again. 3rd time I been to Wisconsin in July, 3rd time it rained all the time an was cold. I didn't learn the first two times, but did this time. You take everything you got when you go up there.

ole top