Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland River report

Fished between Helms and the dam on Friday. Had good action early and late, with a lot of short strikes in the middle of the day when the sun was strong. Caught everything on a bead head nymph. Plenty of midges in the air, with an occasional mayfly. Saw no caddis flies. Water temperature was 60 degrees, which I still think is too warm, but at least yesterday the trout didn't seem to mind. When I first got to Helms, a couple guys in a Gheenoe like mine were backing down over all the bigs rocks between the end of the ramp at Helms and the waterline. Not something I'd want to try. (I carried my lightweight canoe down to the water.) Late in the day another guy in a canoe passed me coming downstream. Those were the only other anglers I saw all day. Hope 540 cfs lasts until the first snow falls. But if you like to wade, now's the time to get down there, before the rains come.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cumberland River report

Thanks for the report! Our annual CR/CL lake is this weekend, so we'll be camping at Kendal if any of you locals want swing by and join us or just say hi. We are planning on striper fishing on the lake in the am, then hitting the river the rest of the day....and of course, throwing for night walleyes! We'll be there Thurs, Fri & Sat. Can't wait!!! Couldn't be better time with the 540cfs! My favorite!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be surprised if a young guy about 5' 5" with a scruffy beard shows up in your camp site waving a new boo rod or a TFO and a bottle of Buffalo Trace. This sounds better and better to me. Now I really wish I hadn't left my waders in NKY.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colonelmeyer View Post
    Don't be surprised if a young guy about 5' 5" with a scruffy beard shows up in your camp site waving a new boo rod or a TFO and a bottle of Buffalo Trace. This sounds better and better to me. Now I really wish I hadn't left my waders in NKY.
    Come on! It's going to be a FFin clinic! We are going to RIP THEM LIPS!!! We'll be the guys camped at the corner campsite next to the stairs down to the Hatchery Creek/CR convergence. Love that spot! Stop and say hi!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping to get down to the river on Saturday. If you see a guy in a funny hat and a green Mohawk Canoe, that'll be me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
    I'm hoping to get down to the river on Saturday. If you see a guy in a funny hat and a green Mohawk Canoe, that'll be me.
    We'll keep an eye out for ya....I really want to see this "funny" hat, lol.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Thanks for the report! Our annual CR/CL lake is this weekend, so we'll be camping at Kendal if any of you locals want swing by and join us or just say hi. We are planning on striper fishing on the lake in the am, then hitting the river the rest of the day....and of course, throwing for night walleyes! We'll be there Thurs, Fri & Sat. Can't wait!!! Couldn't be better time with the 540cfs! My favorite!

-Rich
    Take a good sleeping bag:
    Just looked at the Weather Forecast; Thursday, slight chance of rain and SNOW showers, LOW ~34, Friday night LOW ~26, Saturday night LOW 25 !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Take a good sleeping bag:
    Just looked at the Weather Forecast; Thursday, slight chance of rain and SNOW showers, LOW ~34, Friday night LOW ~26, Saturday night LOW 25 !!!
    LOL! I haven't seen a forecast that was calling for snow down here, but BRING IT ON!!! I love flyfishing in the snow, lol! It is going to be COLD....but we are used to that....we used to do this trip in December, and we have had some years with BITTER cold! One year, I really thought I had hypothermia one night! I wasn't prepared for the severe cold we experienced that year....never again! I come prepared with EVERYHTING...including a heater.

Thanks for the heads up Boone....

-Rich