Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

More Crap in the OH River

Just saw on the news that Louisville's Metro Sewer District let 4.1 million gallons of raw sewege enter the Ohio River yesterday...they're advising people not go into or fish the river for the next two days.

My question is this...where is the EPA on this? Surely this has to be illegal or at a minimum fine-able. In todays world with everyone trying to go green, how can this slide by? (no pun inteded)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: More Crap in the OH River

Quote Originally Posted by twise7 View Post
    Just saw on the news that Louisville's Metro Sewer District let 4.1 million gallons of raw sewege enter the Ohio River yesterday...they're advising people not go into or fish the river for the next two days.

My question is this...where is the EPA on this? Surely this has to be illegal or at a minimum fine-able. In todays world with everyone trying to go green, how can this slide by? (no pun inteded)
    I agree Tony...sad part is we would end up paying for it anyway. Another black eye for MSD.

Post Thanks / Like

What I don't understand is why is there even a route for sewer to get into the River untreated? The only pipe that should enter the river is one that is on the other end of a treatment facility. I hope I wording this right, but it seems there is a pipe that has access to untreated waste water and leads to the river...how can this be? I read it was some sort of gate for intake or something along those lines...how can intake be in anyway linked to discharge..surely they don't use the same lines...? I dunno?

Post Thanks / Like

I cant believe it.4 million gallons.Must have been a big pipe or run for a long time.What gets me is they are so smug on tv and all.Talking about flooded basements and drainage projects.I hope they fire somebodies ass.Im not a tree hugger or anything but dam,4 million gallons.

Post Thanks / Like

and this is why you dont eat fish out of there...lol

Post Thanks / Like

thats not the only place the crap enters the water, try floating a jon boat down any of the rivers and good size creeks in eastern ky. and see how many sewage lines enter the water. Goose creek and Middle fork of the ky river, are two places. and the water from both places end up in the Ohio River. sad but true.

Post Thanks / Like

Saying where was the EPA during this release is like saying where was the police when some guy got shot??? Regulators aren't clairvoyant. Malfunctions, accidents, equipment failures, etc happen and by-passes at WWTP's do happen occationally. This one sounds like a doosy but you can only shut the valve off for so long because people don't stop flushing their toilets, it has to go somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with the EPA, has a very limited set of rules, the company/ city/ or any one for that matter can only be fined one time for any violation. I used to be in the asbestos disposal business. I worked for a very large company out of New Orleans. I had to attend three month course on disposal of all kinds of hazmat. The most surprising thing I learned was how the EPA was just about useless. The most that a company could be fined was $25000 a day. This actualy helped out the people commiting the infraction. I am not sure of what the fine is now but if you dump 4 million gallons of waste 25 thousand dollars is a cheap way out. think of it this way the cost of proper disposal would be in the millions, so why not take a hit and you make 90 percent proffit versus doing it right and only making a 25% pay check

Post Thanks / Like

Courier-Journal article explains what happened this time:
    http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...nto-Ohio-River

This isn't an isolated event. There are spills way bigger than this one all the time in rainy weather; the sewage just gets diluted then. Louisville's sewer system, like a lot of infrastructure in this state, and the country as a whole, was built a long time ago, and is in dire need of upgrading. MSD says they're spending $850 million to "greatly reduce the spills that occur during rainy weather." I REALLY hope it works! I love this city, and I've always been disgusted by this "dirty little secret."

Post Thanks / Like

Roadtoad you nailed it on the head. Bypasses happen everywhere and its usually because of the aging systems dealing with more volume. This isn't a situation where people are trying to get one over on someone and save money its municipalites that just can't keep up. Same with roads and bridges in this country there is only so much you can do logistical and financially. As for those that think they can keep violating the same environmental law and only pay a fine and gain economically we can introduce you to some people in federal prison for those tactics. We have EPA federal special agents stationed in L-vile that investigate these crimes full time for Ky.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote: Forrest Gump "stuff happens"

Headlines:
    1. "KDFWR predicts record sizes for Ohio River Carp this year"
    2. "West Point Mayor confirms stuff does flow down stream"
    3. "Brandernburg changes its name to Brown Paper Town"

New product:
    Boat hull cleaner: "This stuff cleans the crap off your boat hull" "No scrubbing, just one flush and its gone"

If your bow dives into a wave on the Ohio, does it become the "poop deck" ?

Is there a reason crap and carp have exactly the same letters in a slightly different order? Both start with something to "C", and both end with a "P".

If you exaggerate your propellor performance specs, should someone tell you to "cut the sh____?"

Good advice: "Never smoke cigars found in the Ohio River"

And last: Does this mean the catfish will have a harder time finding stink baits?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Quote: Forrest Gump "stuff happens"

Headlines:
    1. "KDFWR predicts record sizes for Ohio River Carp this year"
    2. "West Point Mayor confirms stuff does flow down stream"
    3. "Brandernburg changes its name to Brown Paper Town"

New product:
    Boat hull cleaner: "This stuff cleans the crap off your boat hull" "No scrubbing, just one flush and its gone"

If your bow dives into a wave on the Ohio, does it become the "poop deck" ?

Is there a reason crap and carp have exactly the same letters in a slightly different order? Both start with something to "C", and both end with a "P".

If you exaggerate your propellor performance specs, should someone tell you to "cut the sh____?"

Good advice: "Never smoke cigars found in the Ohio River"

And last: Does this mean the catfish will have a harder time finding stink baits?
    That's AWESOME!! Very funny...but unfortunately very TRUE!!