Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

suspending jerkbaits

I've had pretty good luck with jerkbaits this time of year but can't find one that just suspends (they either rise real slow or sink real slow) does anyone know of one that suspends really good?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: suspending jerkbaits

I have never been able to find one that will just suspend and I think the reason would be that water of different temperatures has different densities therefore the baits will float differently. The difference is very small but enough that baits will really never be completely neutral. What I do is attach some lead tape to the shanks of the treble hooks (mostly the front one) of my xraps. This has been an easy and cheap way to acheive what you are wanting. I hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky Craft without a doubt. I have had them in the tub suspended in one spot for over 15min without them moving. They are pricey though. But if you want a truly suspending jerkbait thats the only way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Mkmsports41 may be on to something. I have never bought any LC lures. Fishing costs me enough as it is, I can't afford to spend $20 on one jerkbait. I might be just being cheap but I will stick to my Xraps and lead tape. I have caught plenty if fish on them. But what works for me may not be the solution for another.

Post Thanks / Like

If you shop around or find some on sale, you can get LC pointers for around $10. IMO they really are worth the extra money - the hooks are way better, they suspend better, and I have had much more luck on them. I have had days where my X-raps have out performed lucky crafts, but on average I do better with the lucky crafts. You aren't really as likely to loose jerkbaits as much either - I am usually fishing them in 12-15 feet of water so they aren't getting hung.

If you are set on spending less money, the X-raps or old school smithwick rogues are the way to go. You can get suspend-dots (lead tape already sectioned off), and you can stick them on there to help them suspend, or make them suspend slightly nose down if you want them that way.

Post Thanks / Like

I second the Lucky Crafts. They may be a little pricey but if its a true suspending bait you want, then those are your best bet. All baits will catch fish, buy tie on a pointer and your odds are a little better.

Post Thanks / Like

If I can find some LC for $10 bucks. I will by all means grab a couple. Because as you said I very rarely get hung up not to mention actually losing the bait, cause I usually fish it in at least 20ft of water, more times than not I fish underwater cliffs in Cumberland were the water is on average about 40ft deep. I wasn't the one asking the question but thank you Col Forbin for the info I am now on the hunt for some LC Jerkbaits. I can't wait for the water temp to drop to that magic 55 deg so I can start jerkin up some good size smallies

Post Thanks / Like

Ability to suspend does not have anything to do with how much you spend on a lure. It is a function of water density which is in turn a result of water temperature. The trick is to use suspenstrips or suspendots from storm lures. They sell em at tacklewarehouse.com and BassPro both. On the recommendation of a fellow angler at work, i use suspend strips between the hooks on the belly. I like mine to sink very slowly as it seems to increase my strikes in cold water.

Also note that some models weight different than the same model ina different finish.... Smithwick rogues in clown and foxy mama are metallic foil finish which is thinner than say the foxy shad which is painted. The foxy mama may float slightly at the same water temp that a foxy shad suspends perfectly...

But again... Storm Suspenstrips... makes any bait suspend if you take the time to tune em.

Post Thanks / Like

I do know a little about this. The temp of the water is what affects whether or not it sinks or floats. It doesn't matter who makes them. Another thing are the components(weights, eyelets, weight chambers,glue,paint, clear coat). There is no such thing as components all being perfectly the same. Believe me, I've tried everything and the perfect suspender does not exist. Until you have have perfect components and the same water temp every time, you will not have a perfect suspender. The suggestion to add weight on the outside of the lure is the best way to get the lure to do what you want.

Post Thanks / Like

I am selling my jerkbaits. I have some of each of the following: Lucky Craft, X Raps, Husky Jerks and Rogues. If interested send me a PM. All are in EXCELLENT shape with perfect hooks.

Post Thanks / Like

You can get on bassboatcentral and find lucky craft pointers new for $10 and less for slightly used....just like with anything make sure you do some investigating into what size you want.....they make several different sizes of pointers

Post Thanks / Like

Before the lucky crafts if you were in a bait shop at Bull Shoals you could buy Smithwick rogues with solder wrapped around the treble hooks shank and they were labeled for different water temperatures. You can do this at home in a sink with a temperature gauge and some real fine solder.