Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Keeping Secrets

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping Secrets

The other post got me thinking of what once made this site great, and is starting to dwindle. I first got on this site to share information - of course, I read for years without posting more to learn info rather than to share (I didn't really have any worth sharing). Mark and Steven were dead on. There are plenty on here that are or were willing to share plenty of information. Most aren't asking for specific spots or coordinates, just techniques and a general starting points for a day on the water, although some are willing to share all they know. For the most part we aren't in competition with each other (maybe to some extent outside of pride). So why not share what you know - that is what this site is for.

Another point that was brought up, was people pretty much flat out calling others liars for thier reports. I've seen it countless times with Elnut's reports, and remember seeing Mark get shot down a few times. But I try to keep in mind that these are usually accusations made by people that have added nothing to the site rather than to stir the pot.

I am going to start sharing all I can, and I hope to see some of the same on here. PM me, I'll give specific spots out if you want - keep in mind about half the time I don't know what I am doing, and the other half I just pretend I do!!!! I hope to see more of the same on here.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Keeping Secrets

I don't mind sharing specifics if I catch fish and yes I do fish tournaments. Let face it, there are not that many secret holes on our lakes that someone else hasn't found so why be so secretive about it. Now days it's all about timing & technique. If Dave Stewart gave me the exact coordinates of a ledge that he just caught 30 lbs off of that doesn't mean I could. I think we just have too many KVD wanna be's out there. I mean what's the big deal if you pay a $30 entry fee in a tournament and your fishing for $200 first place prize. The way some of these guys are you would think they're fishing the elite series for $100 grand. Lighten up a little, share your ideas and information. We're on this board to have fun and learn not to see who's the best fisherman.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as teaching someone general fishing information I think most people willingly share that, but to get so defined and personal as to "what they do" or "where they do it" has many reasons to stay private. Consider the hard work involved, it's more fun to achieve success off your own knowledge, and most of the time you just cannot do what the other guy did anyway. It just doesn't work that way. I don't even ask that information because most of the time they "don't know what they are doing anyway"!
    Just my opinion.

The only thing I have to share right now is that on ky lake I have the best success with bass using live minnows, and immitations with ultralight.
    Last edited by FatBoyNorm; 11-05-2010 at 12:11 PM.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Good post. Always did and always will. Figure this site is here to help us all enjoy fishing and boating more.

And I don't care if people sometimes call me a liar:
    a. Been married 30 years and have been called worse.
    b. Realize what worked for me on Monday at 7 am, might not work for a different person Tuesday, at the same time, the same spot, with the same techniques. It's the nature of the beast.

The biggest benefit I get asking about conditions and the bite before I go is:
    a. Decide if I want to go.
    b. Figure out a game plan so I know what I want to do when I get there.
    c. Based on the game plan I set, figure out how to rig the boat, when to get there, where to go, how to set up rods, and what bait/baits to have available.
    d. Start my trip feeling a bit more confident because I have a plan, know I'm set up to do it, and know I'm not going to waste a lot of time trying to figure stuff out. Sometimes just being confident means you try a little harder, are a little more persistent, and so, just get better results. If nothing else, and I zero for the day, it makes it easier to figure out what caused it so I'm in better shape to try it again next time.

Now, let me share with you what the best bait and rig is for catching squirrels this time of year. I bottom fish for them, and use acorns on a bait catser with 30 pound test. Tie the acorn to the line, and below it, attach a 8 x 8 inch of velcro. Cast into the back yard. When the squirrel gos for the nut and tries to get it off the line, his belly hairs get stuck on the velcro pad. Reel him in slow, but becareful when you land him, cause he will be angry and they do bite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Now, let me share with you what the best bait and rig is for catching squirrels this time of year. I bottom fish for them, and use acorns on a bait catser with 30 pound test. Tie the acorn to the line, and below it, attach a 8 x 8 inch of velcro. Cast into the back yard. When the squirrel gos for the nut and tries to get it off the line, his belly hairs get stuck on the velcro pad. Reel him in slow, but becareful when you land him, cause he will be angry and they do bite.
    Great information Bob...does this work for ALL squirrels, including albinos or just gray squirrels?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Col Forbin View Post
    The other post got me thinking of what once made this site great, and is starting to dwindle. I first got on this site to share information - of course, I read for years without posting more to learn info rather than to share (I didn't really have any worth sharing). Mark and Steven were dead on. There are plenty on here that are or were willing to share plenty of information. Most aren't asking for specific spots or coordinates, just techniques and a general starting points for a day on the water, although some are willing to share all they know. For the most part we aren't in competition with each other (maybe to some extent outside of pride). So why not share what you know - that is what this site is for.

Another point that was brought up, was people pretty much flat out calling others liars for thier reports. I've seen it countless times with Elnut's reports, and remember seeing Mark get shot down a few times. But I try to keep in mind that these are usually accusations made by people that have added nothing to the site rather than to stir the pot.

I am going to start sharing all I can, and I hope to see some of the same on here. PM me, I'll give specific spots out if you want - keep in mind about half the time I don't know what I am doing, and the other half I just pretend I do!!!! I hope to see more of the same on here.

You make very good points Col. I don't post as much as I used to partly because I have not done any fishing - except for 90 minutes on North Barkley in May since January but mostly because of all the backlash. When you post that a certain number of different people caught 5lb Brownfish out of your boat in December 2009 and there are several non-believers it makes you not want to post again. Nevermind that 3sons, Bonefish, Catchemall, ON3 3Y3D WILLI3 were 4 of the guys that did it are members of this board it just does not pay to post information for that reason. I also believe the site was better a few years ago and it has lost several contributing members for this reason plus other bickering that goes on. If I ever get on here bragging on the number of crappie, bluegill, catfish, rainbow trout or other species that I caught then fine call me a liar. I don't fish for these species and have no reason to post a report to such. But I got tired of being questioned on what was caught in my boat at Dale Hollow and Ky Lake. 99% of the people here have no clue as to how much time I have spent on Dale Hollow from First Island to Illwill and the North LBL side of Ky Lake. When one spends that much time on the water on a specific area of the lake my guess he will eventually figure out a thing or two. Not a pro, never will be a pro but Ky Lake in the spring and Dale Hollow wintertime FNF fishing I do know and that pisses me off even more when someone questions what I catch during these 2 times.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a Super post Col, really well put. In fact it's hit home with me and has me thinking. Anyone on here that knows me knows that I can get mad enough to chew bark off Hickory trees but I can't stay that way very long. Also never was much good at holding grudges either. Maybe I need to rethink this deal????????

I'm pondering, thanks for the thought prevoking thread Col.

Post Thanks / Like

asking stuff doesnt teach me anything. making an effort teachs me a lifetime of stuff,and i remember it way better

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the concern about the sharing of info. For some, it certainly has backfired and I understand why some people have stopped sharing.

However, in my experience when asking particular individuals for help by sending a PM, they almost unanimously have been generous with information. I had significant help in the spring (thanks Elwood) for a tourney at KY Lake (was told about a spot that produced a 6 pounder in practice that got off at the boat due to my fumbling the net while trying to play the fish), and in October, I won our little club's classic at Green River Lake this year in part to reports found on this board and people who I contacted through this board. Many thanks to all!

So, the cooperative spirit is still alive among many of the Fishing.com fraternity. I've helped when I know something that is producing (usually I can tell you what's not working at a particular lake and time, my specialty). From a recepients perspective, it sure is nice to get some help.

Have a good weekend.

JP

Post Thanks / Like

GREAT POST COL

I believe this site is only as good as it's worst members. I'm new to this site and I joined becuase of the information that is SHARED on here. I am a very avid tournament fisherman and I don't mind at all giving up the area of the lake I caught my fish in and the bait I caught them on because I have spent enough time oncthe water to know that I could fish a spot right behind you and catch fish were you struck out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoyNorm View Post
    As far as teaching someone general fishing information I think most people willingly share that, but to get so defined and personal as to "what they do" or "where they do it" has many reasons to stay private. Consider the hard work involved, it's more fun to achieve success off your own knowledge, and most of the time you just cannot do what the other guy did anyway. It just doesn't work that way. I don't even ask that information because most of the time they "don't know what they are doing anyway"!
    Just my opinion.

The only thing I have to share right now is that on ky lake I have the best success with bass using live minnows, and immitations with ultralight.
    And BINGO.... This attitude is what is making fishing go down the tubes. When fishing gets to be "hard work", I will quit fishing.

Fishing is supposed to be fun, relaxing, and enjoyable. When it gets to be "hard work", and you have to try and sneak around fishing sites telling people you have a honey hole, but you aren't telling where ect....., the fun has been thrown out the window.

I'll share info with anyone, anytime, anywhere. I just don't care. I like to see people out having a good time fishing. I'll keep a spot to myself if someone showed me the spot, and asked me to keep it to myself, out of respect for their wishes, but that is the extent of my secrete keeping.

If you want to keep secrets, join the CIA. Otherwise, if you want to fish and have a good time, do it, and share the knowledge for those people new to the sport or the area. The rewards for helping others out usually have bigger payoffs anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I know I'm the instigator of this discussion with my post on calm waters post, and I have appologized to him for inadvertantly "hijacking" his post. However, my error has at least invigorated some healthy discussion on the original, in my opinion, the core mission of this forum. To help, share and discuss any issues that might be of help to a newbie or a pro to enjoy the art, skill and pure enjoyment of fishing. Thanks to all who post on this forum, I have learned a lot from all of you. Tight lines and good luck to all of us.