Search Fishin.com

Thread: Breeders' Cup

Post Thanks / Like

Breeders' Cup

I am really looking forward to this year's BC. It's just five weeks away, and this will be the first time Churchill Downs has hosted it as a two-day event. As usual, I'll be working a betting window. For those who haven't heard, Rachel Alexandra was retired last Tuesday, so obviously she's out. Zenyatta won the Lady's Secret at Hollywood Park yesterday, and if she comes out of it okay, she IS coming to the BC. Lookin At Lucky beat NOBODY in the Indiana Derby yesterday. He'll probably run in the Classic, and will be way over-bet. Haynesfield won the Jockey Club Gold Cup yesterday, and may or may not run. I don't see him beating the filly. Blame ran second in that race, and they say they're running in the Classic, but Garret Gomez's lame excuse for the loss, saying the horse "didn't fire because the other horse was too far in front of him," leaves me decidedly unimpressed. I've decided already, I'm not going to bet on the Classic, just root for Zenyatta to retire undefeated. As for the betting, I'll be looking for a longshot in one of the other races, like the Sprint, or maybe even the Marathon, and betting them $5 Win/$20 Show. In the past, I've done well betting on the Ten Broeck series at Churchill, so the Marathon might be right up my alley. Good Luck to everybody!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Breeders' Cup

You are a brave man Road Toad, you couldn't get me anywhere near Churchill Downs on Breeders Cup days--way too many people.

I am with you though, I will probably not bet on the Classic--there will probably be too many possiblilities for an upset but if Z wins it won;t pay squat. I always do better with the other races anyhow.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Believe me, I wouldn't be there if I weren't being paid! Plus, being behind the betting windows, instead of being part of the huge crowd, I get to watch the huge crowd, which can be quite entertaining at times. I've been working the windows as an "Extra Local" employee at every Oaks/Derby and BC at Churchill since 1997, plus traveled to Santa Anita two years ago, and Monmouth the year before that. It's a lot of fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally decided on my bet. $5 Win/$20 Show on Atoned #1 in the BC Marathon on Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

Mortal Locks but not much return on investment:

Midday - Friday's F&M Turf
    Blind Luck - Friday's Ladies Classic
    Goldikova - Saturday's Mile

Good Bet that should pay well:

Master of Hounds - Saturday's Juvenile Turf

Longshot Play of the Day:

Al Khali - Saturday's Turf

Upset Special:

Blame - Saturday's Classic (Sorry Zenyatta)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    Mortal Locks but not much return on investment:

Midday - Friday's F&M Turf
    Blind Luck - Friday's Ladies Classic
    Goldikova - Saturday's Mile

Good Bet that should pay well:

Master of Hounds - Saturday's Juvenile Turf

Longshot Play of the Day:

Al Khali - Saturday's Turf

Upset Special:

Blame - Saturday's Classic (Sorry Zenyatta)

Juvenile Filles Turf - BEST BET OF BOTH DAYS - Winter Memories in a ROMP

Fillie and Mare Sprint - BEST BOMB EXACTA BOX - 2-8-9, 15-1, 20-1, 30-1

Juvenile Fillies - Theyskens' Theory

Filly and Mare Turf - If anyone is to upset Midday, it will be either Red Desire or Harmonius

Post Thanks / Like

I know next to nothing about horse racing, but I know one thing. Zenyatta is just simply a magnificient animal. Personality, size, beauty a real joy to look at and watch, she is quite a ham. I've enjoyed the clips I've seen of her posing for the crowd and pictures, Wow, what an animal.