Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up CL/CR Report 11/4-11/6

Well, our annual CL/CR fishing trip was a great success! Thanks to those who helped with some last minute information...always appreciated. We found EXCELLENT striper jump fishing between Jamestown and the mouth of Beaver....mornings and evenings. The fish seemed to migrate more towards the mouth of Beaver with each cooler day. On our last day, they were right in the mouth of Beaver. We limited out all three days within 30 minutes! It was incredible! Some of the jumps were MASSIVE...covering 100yds and lasting a long time. Fish were aggressively hitting our 1/2oz bucktails white/chart w/white grub trailer. We also picked up some nice keeper smallies while casting bucktails in the jumps. My father-in-laws depth finder doesn't produce an accurate water temp, so I have no report there. The water was nice and the weather did get a little frigid near the end of our trip.
    As for the CR...we had great success fly fishing at the Hatchery Creek/CR convergence. Yellow glow bugs and bh zebra midges were the ticket there, as well as a #24 griffiths gnat. I caught a 20" brown, full of eggs, on the fly rod....what a fight! That fish made the trip for me. She was released to do her thing.... Lots of 10-14" inch rainbows, one 2lb smallie (first one I have ever caught in the CR), lots of skipjacks, a couple sauger, some white bass, bluegills, and a walleye.....quite the multi-specie trip to the CR! Good times with good friends...until next year!

Oh yeah...as soon as I figure out how to take the pics off my cell phone...I'll post some pics.

-Rich
    Last edited by RICHYD4U; 11-06-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CL/CR Report 11/4-11/6

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Well, our annual CL/CR fishing trip was a great success! Thanks to those who helped with some last minute information...always appreciated. We found EXCELLENT striper jump fishing between Jamestown and the mouth of Beaver....mornings and evenings. The fish seemed to migrate more towards the mouth of Beaver with each cooler day. On our last day, they were right in the mouth of Beaver. We limited out all three days within 30 minutes! It was incredible! Some of the jumps were MASSIVE...covering 100yds and lasting a long time. Fish were aggressively hitting our 1/2oz bucktails white/chart w/white grub trailer. We also picked up some nice keeper smallies while casting bucktails in the jumps. My father-in-laws depth finder doesn't produce an accurate water temp, so I have no report there. The water was nice and the weather did get a little frigid near the end of our trip.
    As for the CR...we had great success fly fishing at the Hatchery Creek/CR convergence. Yellow glow bugs and bh zebra midges were the ticket there, as well as a #24 griffiths gnat. I caught a 20" brown, full of eggs, on the fly rod....what a fight! That fish made the trip for me. She was released to do her thing.... Lots of 10-14" inch rainbows, one 2lb smallie (first one I have ever caught in the CR), lots of skipjacks, a couple sauger, some white bass, bluegills, and a walleye.....quite the multi-specie trip to the CR! Good times with good friends...until next year!

Oh yeah...as soon as I figure out how to take the pics off my cell phone...I'll post some pics.

-Rich
    Rich, thanks for the report and congrats on a great weekend of fishing the greater Cumberland Area. Keep meaning to get back out on LC while the Stripers are in the jumps, but those CR trout just keep pulling be back to the river LOL. As, you know, this is my first year of FF and I'm having a BALL.

But, back to those Stripers, just going to have to force myself to put down the fly rod next week and hit the lake. What size fish were you guys seeing/catching this week end? Did you see anyone pulling boards or down riggers and if so, how'ed thay do? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Rich, thanks for the report and congrats on a great weekend of fishing the greater Cumberland Area. Keep meaning to get back out on LC while the Stripers are in the jumps, but those CR trout just keep pulling be back to the river LOL. As, you know, this is my first year of FF and I'm having a BALL.

But, back to those Stripers, just going to have to force myself to put down the fly rod next week and hit the lake. What size fish were you guys seeing/catching this week end? Did you see anyone pulling boards or down riggers and if so, how'ed thay do? Thanks.
    I know how addicting the fly rod can be, lol! But those stripers are just to much fun! I'm going to find a way to download my pics from my phone onto my computer, so I'll post them when I do.....the stripers averaged around 28". We did catch a few below 24", but very few. They all swam off very healthy. There were a few people out pulling boards and down riggers. We marked a ton of fish around 40-50 feet in the mouth of Beaver. I think with this cold snap, that they are going to be heading up the creeks this week. Won't be to long till they are in the backs busting the shad IMO. Take care Boone, and let me know how you are doing FFin on the CR.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

RichyDFU, I'm glad ya'll had a weekend of good fishin. I hope what little I posted the other day helped. Boone, yes several people are pullin boards now. We caught fish today on main lake mud flats in 40-50 foot of water. I ran the boards 15-40 foot deep and caught fish at various depths. Burnside end of the lake was 59 degrees early this morning and only got up to 62, didn't mark much in the creeks yet. With the water cooling off this quick they are slowly scattering and gathering close to the larger creek mouths and starting to head to shallower water, I cant wait! MOST guides have pretty much quit downrigging because most of the fish have came back to depths you can get to 'em with live bait. Bait is easy to catch again also. Bottom fishing and straight down lining bait have been the most productive methods for us lately. Good luck guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report. Couple quick ?s were you wading CR or in a boat? Did you tie or buy the yellow glo bugs? We made the long haul down there and fished pretty hard for few small fish. Good time but just haven't spent nuff time there to learn how to make a decent catch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grampsg View Post
    Thanks for the report. Couple quick ?s were you wading CR or in a boat? Did you tie or buy the yellow glo bugs? We made the long haul down there and fished pretty hard for few small fish. Good time but just haven't spent nuff time there to learn how to make a decent catch.
    We were wading the CR right there at the Hatchery Creek/CR convergence. The river is at 540 cfs, great for wading. I tie my own glo bugs....the yellow reel egg glo bugs were working the best for us. There are definitely A LOT of little fish in that area, but there are also some bruisers sitting there thinking about heading up stream. Good luck in the future!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post

-Rich
    Good Job Rich ! You are the Man ! ( I seen the pics ! They were some nice fish !!! )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    Good Job Rich ! You are the Man ! ( I seen the pics ! They were some nice fish !!! )
    Thanks Rocky....wish you could have come over and caught some with us...but I understand about work. Also...thanks for the offer while we were down there....that was really cool of ya. You're the man!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got the pics off my phone...check out the photo forum if interested....

-Rich