Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up CR trip was a success!

Check my fishing report thread on the main fishing forum for all the details...

As for the FFin...it was good. I was a little disappointed by the lack of spawners in my usual areas, but I wasn't suprised...it's been declining for six years now. But....I was still able to manage a beautiful 20" brown on a yellow egg. She was busting at the seems with eggs! Beautiful fish! We caught numerous rainbows in the 10-15" range on the same setup...yellow eggs with bh zebra droppers. There was a heavy midge hatch all three days, and lots of fish rising....I was able to catch a lot of them on a #24 griffiths gnat. The river is PERFECT for wading right now....just have to get used to the new "murky" coloration of the water....no more clear water....but the fish are biting! Oh yeah, and also caught a 2lb smallie while FFin on the CR...that was a first!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CR trip was a success!

Sounds like you did good. I was back on the river between 11 and 5 on Saturday. Action was good early, then tapered off throughout the afternoon. Strong sun in the afternoon warmed things up but may have put off the fish. Also, several boats motored up through the section I was working, then drifted back down--several times each. All were trying be as quiet as possible, but with the water so low, it might have bothered the trout. Hard to say. Water temp was 58 degrees on my stream thermometer. Lots of midges in the morning. Also saw numerous trout working the surface on my paddle back to Helms in the late afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CR trip was a success!

Yeah, Saturday was a little slow for us...I think with that cold front passing through during the night, it slowed the bite some. The previous two days (thurs, fri) were really good! Both for trout and stripers! I have heard that they are catching a ton of juvenille stripers on the river right now? Like 15" inchers? Anybody heard this? Weird....

-Rich