Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fluorocarbon line?

Thinking about spooling one of my rods with fluorocarbon. Hows the memory and knot strength? What kind should i get?
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fluorocarbon line?

Anything larger than 8lbs always go with PLine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by burt.fishin View Post
    Thinking about spooling one of my rods with fluorocarbon. Hows the memory and knot strength? What kind should i get?
    thanks
    I wasnt big on fluorocarbon line until I came to terms with the price of it. I have come to realize it handles better than mono in cold weather. I like XPS fluoro for crankbaits (12lb) and for rattletraps (14-17lb). For jigs and texas rigs I like 17lb Trilene 100% fluorocarbon. (Trilen seems a little more abrasion resistant but its a bit stiffer)

If youre using it on baitcasting equipment I think you'll appreciate the sensitivity it gives you and it handles well in cold weather. When it warms back up in the spring I'll go back to my usual big game mono, for the money it does fine.

The palomar knot works for me, I wouldnt bother with any other knot. I fished a jig in bushes today with 17lb trilene 100%, caught around 15 fish and never retied. I was having to bend the hook to pop it loose when my jig hung up. Its tough stuff. (now if I was catching bigger fish than I was I'd have retied, but they were all small.)

Post Thanks / Like

I go with XPS Flouro for all my flouro. I've tried a few others but didn't have any luck with it...lots of backlashes and such. XPS seems to hold up well and bass pro has several sales during the year and offers lower prices on all their flouro - keep your eyes open as I'm sure there are going to be some great black friday sales at BPS.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 8lb trilene 100% flouro on my spinning rig and love it. It is super sensative, and the memory is actually not bad. My intention is to go with Seguar InVisX 10lb flouro on my crankin rods for next year... and 12lb suffix elite mono on everything else......

Post Thanks / Like

I love seaguar invisx. knock on wood no knot trouble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by burt.fishin View Post
    thanks
    i`ve tried afew brands none work well for heavy cover. to flip with i`d go 25# or heavier. any thing less will cost you plenty of hooks and sinkers.

Post Thanks / Like

Berkeley 100% Flouro is all I use. Best stuff out there!

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried about all of them out there, and seaguar invis-x is my favorite. One because it is not as stiff as most flouro's, and I have had good luck with knot strength.

For the price, I still prefer co-polymer lines (Gamma - but I hear they are closing their doors). I will use Flouro on my worm and jig rods, but that is it.

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt, I really like the Seagar Invizex. I like it so much I've invested in the 3000 yard spools in 8, 10, 12 pound tests. This stuff is incredible how strong and abrasion resistant it is. I've been using it now for about two years with absolutley no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

I used 20# p-line in that tan color and never broke off, i was pullin bushes and wads of braided line out when hung. I'd swear by the strength of it but pay attention to line diameter, poor memory, p-line is thicker than most per lb test. Other than that always have ironsilk ready and while we are at it the best mono for me is Berkley Big Game 20# test low vis green.

Post Thanks / Like

Be very careful not to kink the line if you ever get a backlash or overrun on your reel. I have found that no matter what brand I have used that if the line is kinked it gets extremely weak in that point. Other that than I love floro. Just some stats for you all

Mono stretches 1 in per foot
    Floro stretches 1/4 in per foot