Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Minn Kota vs. Motorguide

What's your opinion on Minn Kota and Motorguide trolling motors? Which one would you buy?

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide

minnkota is alot quieter, motorguide will last longer

Post Thanks / Like

Minn Kota quieter,stronger, less problems and will way out last Motorguide.

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience (I have had several of both), minn kota beats motorguide all the way around. In the past Motorguide was a little more durable, as they used an all alluminum shaft - but now MK makes the composite shaft which is a little lighter and more durable. As said before MK is usually a little more quite. Since they are both digital, MK's have much fewer circuit problems than motorguide. For standard units, Motorguide's gator mount I think is a little better, but the MK's with lift assist (now only on fortrex) is by far the best mount I have used. The foot pedal on a motorguide is a little smaller - but both seem to function as well.

I just bought a new trolling motor, and I did a great deal of comparison. I talked to a few reps from each, and service dealers for each. I ended up getting a Fortrex - and I could not be happier. I found the newer MK's to be all around better. If you have a 24v or 36v, I would pay the extra money for one with variable speed and the digital maximizer. The ones with speeds 1-5 only, have the same amp draw on any setting (speed 1 draws just as many amps as speed 5, and dissipates the extra energy as heat through the lower unit). The ones with the variable speed (10-100) have a digital maximizer where it controls the amp current on and off to deliver the speed you want - it has nearly doubled my battery time (I run at 50% most of the time).

Post Thanks / Like

I have a motorguide and I am very pleased. Foot pedal is smaller and as far as noise it is not loud unless you run at airplane speed. I have not had a problem out of mine the two years I have used it and I have hit logs, ran thru grass and bottomed out on rocks.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Minn Kota with the I-pilot is awesome. Check it out. I have had both and just sold by Motorguide to go back to Minn Kota.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sglass View Post
    I have a motorguide and I am very pleased. Foot pedal is smaller and as far as noise it is not loud unless you run at airplane speed. I have not had a problem out of mine the two years I have used it and I have hit logs, ran thru grass and bottomed out on rocks.

Shawn
    I agree with you 100% and I fish alot no minnjunka for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran the same MG on my boat for the past 12 years and it was still running when I recently replaced it with a new MK Fortrex. The MK mount is the best I've ever seen and the motor is way quieter compared to the MG. Love the easy lift on that mount.

Post Thanks / Like

Both of these trolling motors are good, it is a matter of preference. I will say this, the MG on my boat has been there 6 years.....I have a backup laying in my garage awaiting its turn when needed....it is still laying there until the one on my boat now gives up the ghost. Do you have any idea how many hours that one on my boat has on it in 6 years of bass guiding? I would estimate about 5000 to 6000 hours at least. My only repair has been replacing props and steering cables...those are not going to last when you put as many hours as I do, no matter what brand you buy.

One recommendation...no matter which brand you buy, put a tie down strap and a bounce buster on your trolling motor...they will extend the life of your trolling motor for sure if you fish any rough water.

Post Thanks / Like

I've owned both, and I highly prefer MinnKota

Post Thanks / Like

I've owned and operated both also. Slight edge to the Minnekota I now use.

Now, let's talk about Ford vs Chevy.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a motor guide digital that I really like. I have had this motor on my last two boats have had zero problems. I use my trolling motor like most people would be afraid to use a chain saw. If I were buying another tommorow it would be a motorguide. Alot more metal in the motorguides.