Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

crappie help for bass/stiper fisherman (Cumberland)

I am going to Cumberland this weekend, taking my wife and two kids (3 and 7). I will be going out in mornings by myself, looking for striper jumps or a topwater smallmouth bite. I am taking the family out midday and would love to provide them a chance of catching something.

I have no idea how to crappie fish other than what I read over the years. Should I bother buying some minnows and looking for structure off the bank? Would I have a better chance on the main lake or way up in the creeks? Must everyone in the boat be still and quite to catch fish directly below the boat?

Another option might be to buy some shiners and let them cast onto points for kentucky. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help. Oh yea, one other problem. I lost my transducer last month on a rogue log, so I'm fishing "blind".

Post Thanks / Like

Re: crappie help for bass/stiper fisherman (Cumberland)

I'm no crappie fisherman but my friend Dave ( he's past now ) took us all the way to the back of Cannie cr., the boat was in 15ft or so of water, 1/6 oz jigs with tiny tubs or tiny curly tails, try different colors, 4lb to know moor then 6lb line, cast to the bank and reel them back very slowly, we caught some nice ones, went back on my own and the guy with me caught one a little over 4 lb. on the way back out of the creek Dave stopped in some small pockets or little creeks went to the back of them, he knew they had some lay downs, cast out around the lay down and reel in the same way as before, hope it helps. OH Dave would not put any action in the jig, he would say sometimes even the curly tail is too much

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie are around 9' to 15' deep in around 20' of water or so, on the lakes I fish. 1/16th jigs or minnows should do the trick. Fishing standing timber has been putting limits in the boat for the last 4 weeks or so. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Look for jumps around the mouths of the creeks...Beaver produced for us last week. The jumps were starting around 7 and lasting 1-2 hours....1/2 cumberland pro jigs white/chart w/white grub.

If you are looking to get into anything that bites for the family...try just dropping minnows. You are bound to hook up with something...KY's, smallies, lm, crappie, and possibly even a striper! Good luck! Have fun!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by floatman View Post
    I'm no crappie fisherman but my friend Dave ( he's past now ) took us all the way to the back of Cannie cr., the boat was in 15ft or so of water, 1/6 oz jigs with tiny tubs or tiny curly tails, try different colors, 4lb to know moor then 6lb line, cast to the bank and reel them back very slowly, we caught some nice ones, went back on my own and the guy with me caught one a little over 4 lb. on the way back out of the creek Dave stopped in some small pockets or little creeks went to the back of them, he knew they had some lay downs, cast out around the lay down and reel in the same way as before, hope it helps. OH Dave would not put any action in the jig, he would say sometimes even the curly tail is too much

Gary
    hey guys, let me redo that 4lb crappie thing, as I sift through the cobwebs in my head, I think I remember that crappie being a little over 2lb, Ive been known to put the BIG EYE on fish when they come in the boat, guess I'll have to ponder a little longer!!!! sorry :-)

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. For crappie, I'll pack the minnow bucket. I am assuming that you drop these guys directly below the boat, onto structure on a deadline? I think I need slip-bobber stuff to fish them on a bobber. I'm not sure how that works.

I found a bunch of crappie tubes and jigs from an unsuccessful trip to Kentucky Lake years ago. That might keep the kids busy for 10 minutes.

I plan on taking them up into Greasy or Caney.

Also, thanks for the striper tip. Those Cumberland jigs look awesome. When I'm by myself, I'll probably be going to mouth of Caney, mouth of Beaver to fish for smallmouth and look for striper jumps. Thanks again for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by floatman View Post
    hey guys, let me redo that 4lb crappie thing, as I sift through the cobwebs in my head, I think I remember that crappie being a little over 2lb, Ive been known to put the BIG EYE on fish when they come in the boat, guess I'll have to ponder a little longer!!!! sorry :-)

Gary
    I like the 4 pound version better.