Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unsportsmanship

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Unsportsmanship

My son's High School DuPont Manual played Trinity last night in ^A football. Trinity got the ball back with under 2 minute's to go in the game and the score was 41-13. Did Trinity just call run play to run out the clock..No sir...they proceded to march down the field and with only 9 seconds left on the clock...They made another play and scored again in the game as if to say...We know we beat you tonight but here have another slap in the face as we score again to make the score 48-13 with 5 seconds left in the game.

Who do I blame mostly for this kind of "Unsportsmanship" The coach of course adn his entire Staff. But the kids on the team are just as deserving as the coach imo. The coach should have the qb take a knee and end the game instead of adding more salt to the wound.

Oh well, now we can garantee that no Public H.S. will win the 6A class since Trinity, St. X and Male and Manual are now all put in the same class with the new Class arangements for next season and beyond....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unsportsmanship

Yeah that same thing happened in a 10 yr olds game that I was watching as we were waiting for my boys team to play. The other team was up 22-0 and had the ball. Instead of taking a knee, they threw the ball to the end zone two staight times as the game ended. I told my wife that I bet our coaches dont shake hands after the game and sure enough they didn't. There were some words exchanged as they walked off the field. I didn't blame the boys because they are running the plays called from the coaches. What is sad is the coaches are instilling this attitude in their boys. Not good.

On a brighter note, my boy's 11-12 team is playing in the Super Bowl again this year. Three years in a row for my boy. Once as a 10 yr old, once as an 11 yr old and now as a 12 yr old. I hope he finally gets the big trophy. They have had a great year so far going 8-0 in the regular season and 1-0(won 42-6) in the play-offs.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it was because the Manual's athletic director was running his mouth about the Trinity coach. All they did was run the ball at Th and 22 so Manual would not get the ball back. Then Manual's AD came up to Trinity's coach and got into it with him after the game. Didn't Manual call time out with only a few seconds left. What about the penalties, why take a knee and give the ball back to them. What did your coach say today in the paper? I am not going to argue this with you I am not going to reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I have to say as a Trinity grad. If you don't want them to score then stop them! If you don't want them to score anymore you could always have the coach tell the official we give up and just call the game now. I hate hearing people complain when good teams give them a butt beating. I believe this for any team and any sport so don't go saying I'm only saying this because it's a Trinity thing. I played sports all through high school and in college but never did I say anything about someone running up the score.

Post Thanks / Like

Srry not saying it as a strict trinity thing...Just adding that it was plain Unsportsmanship on Trinity's part to score with only 9 sec'd left in the game..Plian and simple....

Any one who has ever played the game knows that when a team is losing, they (the Coaches) are teaching all the way to the last sec on the clock. Manual's team was running a 2 minute offense as if the game was really on the line. Yes they scored like the play was designed..They went for 2 point conversion and it failed. Coaching at it's finest imo....teach every min you can so that when next season rolls around...thses kids will be experienced for that situation again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsgMills View Post
    Srry not saying it as a strict trinity thing...Just adding that it was plain Unsportsmanship on Trinity's part to score with only 9 sec'd left in the game..Plian and simple....

Any one who has ever played the game knows that when a team is losing, they (the Coaches) are teaching all the way to the last sec on the clock. Manual's team was running a 2 minute offense as if the game was really on the line. Yes they scored like the play was designed..They went for 2 point conversion and it failed. Coaching at it's finest imo....teach every min you can so that when next season rolls around...thses kids will be experienced for that situation again.

Clyde, was the first string offense still in the game? If so, that is running up the score IMO. If the backups were in, then you are trying to get them to understand their role.

ZX, was Zube really heated? He is normally a pretty well reasoned guy, but I wasn't their for that situation. I will say that Bob Beatty is one of the most arrogant guys I have ever talked to when I was in my former job. Guy can coach football, but not very likeable.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of running up the score Wisconsin put up 84 on your Hoosiers. OUCH!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Beaty comes off that way. If you get him one on one and get to know him he is a pretty good guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pontooner View Post
    Speaking of running up the score Wisconsin put up 84 on your Hoosiers. OUCH!!!!!
    Man didn't think my Hoosier's were gonna hold them under 100......lol.......

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=MsgMills;432736]Man didn't think my Hoosier's were gonna hold them under 100......lol.......[/QUOTE

February 13, 2010 Wisconsin 83 Indiana 55 in Basketball
    November 13, 2010 Wisconsin 83 Indiana 20 in Football
    Following the trend:
    January 20, 2011 Wisconsin 83 Indiana -15 in Basketball, not sure but I think Wisconsin will cover the point spread

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Unsportsmanship

Quote Originally Posted by bigrod View Post
    Here is what I have to say as a Trinity grad. If you don't want them to score then stop them! If you don't want them to score anymore you could always have the coach tell the official we give up and just call the game now. I hate hearing people complain when good teams give them a butt beating. I believe this for any team and any sport so don't go saying I'm only saying this because it's a Trinity thing. I played sports all through high school and in college but never did I say anything about someone running up the score.
    So your saying when your kid is playing for any team in any sport and they are taking a "butt kicking" then it is ok for an ADULT COACH of the other team to do the CHILDISH thing and run up the score? I find that hard to believe.

Case in point:

I just go done coaching my sons Upward Flag Football team. The league was K-2nd graders basically 5-7 yr olds and I had 1 kid that was 4 on my team as well who turned 5 on the last day of the season. Christlike, Sportsmanship, Leadership, Effort, Offense, Defense and Scripture Learning is what we coaches agree to teach the kids thru the program. Our last game of the year was Sat Nov 6th and we had already played this team twice and "won" both games via the scoreboard. This team we coached by a Dad who helped me coach last year for our sons were on the same team but this year they were split up. He is a very nice man, outstanding father and all around good guy. The problem I had is that his team was 0-7 by the stupid scoreboard. What is that teaching a bunch of 4-7 yr olds? I had decided the week prior that I was going to help his team win the game on the "scoreboard". Our last Bible verse that we discussed at practise on Friday the 5th was to "Encourage one another, build up one another, just like we do". We had went over this and the meaning during the middle of practise. At the end of practise, I told the kids that all 5 kids who had not played QB that year was going to take turns playing QB on Saturday and the 3 that had played QB all year were not. One of the kids made a comment that we would lose the game and I asked them what if we had played all 7 games so far and instead of winning 6 of them like we had, we had not won any? One kid said he would be sad, another kid said he would not like it and such. I asked them so what if we lose on the scoreboard, the fact that everyone has scored this year, everyone will have played QB and everyone will have played every position on defense plus we still win 6 out of 8. One of my kids said if we do lose we would be "ENCOURAGING" them and another immedieately said right after that "We would be building them up". That is SPORTSMANSHIP at its finest.

The next day I told the coach on the other team that I really wanted his team to win the game. He was against it in that he did not want to give his kids a false sense of winning and I told him that I was playing all different QB's and running a bunch of different plays plus he could score as many Touchdowns as he wanted and my kids would chase them all over but not pull their flags. He had 4 kids that had not scored for the year so he would give me the sign and my kids chased them all over and they ended up all scoring. I played all my kids at QB, ran certain plays for the younger kids that they had not ran all year long, basically had a ball and we lost the game by 6 points. The other team was jumping for joy and completely excited for winning the game, my kids were jumping for joy because they all played every position on the field offense and defense. My parents knew what we did, the other parents and coaches knew what we did but the KIDS did not know what we did. After the games were over we all went to the church to watch the year end video and the other team sat in the pew(sp) behind us and one of the kids leaned up and said "You played a good game today coach" I replied " you played a very good game as well". He said "Yeah, we finally won a game and I am so happy, we did not think we could ever win a game" "I told him that his team played very good and I was proud of them". After the video we were walking dowstairs and the other coach had heard what the young man and I had said to each other. he put his arm around me and said "You were right, I can't believe how much it meant to the kids to win a game on the scoreboard".

When kids are young, they ALL should know what the experience of winning and losing is all about. They should ALL experience as much in sports as they can. They ALL should learn about the meaning of SPORTSMANSHIP. When ADULTS get involved and put their own personal feelings and such into the game is when it does not become a game anymore. I don't care about DuPont Manual or Trinity and really could care less who beat who but what I do know in reading this post is an ADULT or a couple of ADULTS said something before or during the game that pissed the other off so he decides to run up the score on the other because of the other ADULT. In reality all it does is hurt the other KIDS on the other team and if next week whomever Trinity plays if they do the same thing to them then the Trinity coach will have to explain it to his kids in the locker room after the game. I am way more competitive than the next guy but when I am coaching I must take into considerations not only myself but my team as well as the other team other coaches and other parents. I run the score up this week then I have to be aware that someone may run the score up on me and I have to do the explaining. Just don't make any sense.

Post Thanks / Like

I am having a hard time comparing youth football and varsity football in terms of sportsmanship. Yes, at all levels they are still learning the game. Youth football the games are very good teaching tools. However, varsity football, they work their butt off all year for game day -They are playing - learning will come monday on film.

Now, if they left all starters in there, and are still scoring, that is needless. However, if they have their 2nd or 3rd string guys in there, I am all for them scoring - that may be their only opportunity all year to score.