Search Fishin.com

Thread: How much air

Post Thanks / Like

How much air

Putting a new set of Marathon's on my trailer. Trailer sticker says max cold air pressure 50lbs. Do you guys run and the max pressure?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I did for the life of two sets of those same tires and they wore great. I was told to do that by trailer guy that said to do that or ever so slightly below.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always ran 50# in mine and had good service from trailer tires. If it has 50 on the side that is what i would run. My boat came with tires that were 50# rated and also says 50# on my trailer tag. Too low of air pressure can cause the tires to fail. I check mine cold like it says and they will build up a little on hot days.

Post Thanks / Like
    I run what the tire says I thought it was 60 but it was probably 50

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, follow the recommended PSI on the tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guy's. That's what I will do.

Post Thanks / Like

Goodyear Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by rustedhook View Post
    Thanks guy's. That's what I will do.
    Ran these for years. Goodyear website has a bulletin stating that the 50PSI is rating for 55 MPH Inflate to 60 for faster speed ie... 65-70 MPH I ran 60 PSI for years with mine.. Go to the Goodyear web site and check

Post Thanks / Like
    Run whatever max air pressure the tire recommends. There is multiple max air pressure recommendations for Goodyear Marathon trailer tires. The max air pressure will depend on what load class tire you purchase. The most common boat trailer tires are load class B and C. Load class B is max air pressure 35 psi and load class C is 50 psi max air pressure. They do make a more heavy duty trailer tire but I doubt you will find anybody that keeps it in stock.

I had a boat trailer that had a sticker that recommended a load class B tire with max inflation 35 psi. I felt like the trailer had too much bounce so I went with a more heavy duty load rating. After I put load class C tires with 50 psi on my trailer the bounce went away. I have a friend that often pulls a backhoe or bobcat on a tandem trailer. I looked at his trailer tires and they were load class D with 65 psi. Air pressure is relevant to the load rating of the tire so you need to know what type of tire you have and what the recommended max air pressure is.

If your pulling a tandem boat trailer you can get by with 4 load class B tires but I would opt for load class C. If pulling a single axle and the boat is 17 ft or less with 115 hp or less I would go with load class B. An 18 ft or bigger with a 150 hp or more motor needs load class C on a single axle trailer.