Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Question What's "Best Time of Year" to catch a "Trophy Striper" on Lake Cumberland

So, that's the question! Comments from all who fish for stripers on LC, individuals, as well as guides would be appreciated . Likewise, what's the Worst Time !
    Thanks ,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's "Best Time of Year" to catch a "Trophy Striper" on Lake Cumberland

I have been wondering this same question. I am still a rookie at striper fishing, have been 3 times total and only boated two stripers and a walleye. Coming down this weekend for the first time this year hoping for some luck. I have a decent idea of the baits to use just never sure which areas to target since the lake is so massive. Have never seen them in the jumps before so that would be a treat for sure. Will be putting in at Halcombs right there by the dam and probably fish Indian Creek and possibly Beaver Creek. Everything I read says the best bite is early morning and late evening.

So my answer to your question is November or December. Seems like every time I have been down there this time of year I hear of some giants coming out of the lake. It seems like the numbers were good this past spring (before the kill) but no trophies like I have heard about in the late fall before. Maybe I'm just trying to boost my confidence for this weekend, interested in what other (more educated striper fishermen) have to say.

Post Thanks / Like

December.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: What's "Best Time of Year" to catch a "Trophy Striper" on Lake Cumberland

Quote Originally Posted by apb View Post
    December.
    You must turn in you're "Secret fisherman man card"

Post Thanks / Like

PRO V LE,
    I do maintain my TN fishin lic. Are you suggesting I go south....for the Big Ens?

Post Thanks / Like

ever hear of roaring river? Its down stream of dale hollowand about 1o miles down stream of celina.Withy the river being so low, theresew a lot of good water down there.Some of the biggest stripes come out of the river.I always liked november and early december on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apb View Post
    December.
    2nd that....

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Well, for me, it definitely was not Thursday 11 Nov thru Monday 15 Nov. Wife and I stayed at Jamestown. Went out most mornings and evenings. Searched main lake from mouth of Indian Creek, around Rowena, up to mouth of Beaver and Otter, Governor's Cove area, the Pig Pen, the Springs area, Lilly back to the end, Wolf to Cave Springs, and Caney to the ends of both forks. We found no jumps, maybe one or 2 surface feeders. We found schools stacked up, but sitting shiners on their heads did nothing. Jigged Hopkins spoons, trolled doll flys with curly tails, trolled Redfins and Long A's, Trolled bigs swim baits. Ran boards with shiners of all sizes from threadfin shad size to gizzard shad size from 60 foot to free line, and managed one 18 incher.

Bottom fishing was really exciting though. Between the gar eating the butts off the shiners, and the turtles tearing off the heads, we have multiple hits at several locations that should have produced Stripers.

So, great weather effects, warm and sunny to fogged up the wazoo, and a great trip becasue wife and I were having out 30th Wedding Anniversay, and just sitting on the boat chatting and on the back porch at the Jamestown motel room made the trip worth every minute and more.

So, during that time frame, was anybody really on the Stripers? Where? Did anybody see some jumps? Where?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    So, that's the question! Comments from all who fish for stripers on LC, individuals, as well as guides would be appreciated . Likewise, what's the Worst Time !
    Thanks ,

For what it's worth Boone, march and april are my favorite 2 months of the year to catch the biggest fish. Stripes don't reproduce in our lake themselves but they still go through the spawning process. Late March thru April is when the biggin's are on the banks in large numbers and SHALLOW! Bottom fishing, HUGE gizzards usually equals NICE aggressive stripes! I USUALLY catch good fish thru the cold months of december, January and February also. Hardly any boat traffic, fish are in the creeks and usually alot easier to find. But, my opinion, late March and all of April and sometimes depending on how quick the water warms, May, are generally the months when the bigger fish turn up for me.

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest stripers I've hooked on Lake Cumberland were in early April and early December.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have caught a lot of fish that were above 25lbs, with the majority of them caught from Dec-March......with that being said my biggest one ever was caught July 1st....just a touch over 51lbs from the Conley Bottom area.

Post Thanks / Like

March and April, even in May. Nothing better than an inside board burning across the water, rod doubled and holder sqeaking.