Search Fishin.com

Thread: Shanty Hollow

Post Thanks / Like

Shanty Hollow

Will be at the hollow tomorrow.Going too film catching bass from a kayak.This is going too be 1 of many spots i plan on fishing.If your tried of the hi price of gas go green and join me.
    Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shanty Hollow

Took 30min's too catch a bass at the hollow today.Anyone know why the water is so low there,is there a draw down?More tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raincheck View Post
    Took 30min's too catch a bass at the hollow today.Anyone know why the water is so low there,is there a draw down?More tomorrow.
    DROUGHT

It is 3 feet lower than same day last year but 8 feet higher than same day 2 years ago.
    Last edited by elnutsmalljaws; 11-20-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a feeling that you guys are talking apples and oranges. I believe you are talking about 2 different hollows. One is a small lake near Bowling Green KY and the other is a large lake near Celina TN. Jmo

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Shanty Hollow

Bowling Green's Hollow is low.I thought after it rained it would go up some but having been there 4times since oct.30 its looks like it went down some more.I heard about it getting a leak a few yrs ago.Lots of trash on the banks and i pick up some every trip.Shame on those who trash a lake.Talking about trash at Bacon Creek there is a boat sunk in the mud.Wonder how long ago it got there.O well its back too the Hollow today and try too get another bass on film.

Post Thanks / Like

I did catch a bass but the camera must have been off.I cleaned up the lot while i was waiting for less wind.

Post Thanks / Like

it has been 2 years since we made it to
    shanty,there is a long history of the lake losing water though leaks in the dam,I know at one time when the water nearly disappeared and they were able to stop, or slow down the leaks using left over concrete from other contracts as well as the state paying for a good deal of the repair work. Shanty is a great lake and if it is managed right could be a great trophy lake. The dam is just a few hundered yards from the Green River. I agree that the folks trashing the lake should be given a ticket and mandantory time cleaning the shore line. but Shanty has something biting all the time, a couple of trips down there and picking up one of the KDFW guide books makes it easy with nearly every type of fishing habitats with the shallows at one end and the channels rocks points and riprap near the dam. I understand that there are plans being made to create a new facility near the dam area but I do not think it involves the lake being changed. I hope it stays green as what seemsto be the"catch phrase of the day" with electric motors or kayak, or canoes, as for me it is my 36 year old jon boat my grandtather gave me for fishing creeks and ponds, at 53 I do not want to end up on one of those TV shows about why did he do that with one leg haveing an ankle that was destroyed on a lake bank no less, and on the other leg there is numb streak from the upper thigh to my my foot that has three toes paralized, thanks to let's call it friendly fire in the Army. So there we have got a few ideas about the lake, and I hope is the lake will prosper and continue to be one of the most attractive lakes around.

PS happy thanks giving, and may God give our children,and our grandchilden the joys of being out side in Gods greaest church the one he made.
    Lord there are fighting men and women, who will be deployed instead of home please look over them and their families, return them home, and back in our arms once more!
    And Lord thank you, we may not know the reason of things sometimes, but through faith and your love it will become clear to us some day.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Old Shanty Hollow.....used to fish there all the time when I bought my first jon boat. Never caught anything huge out of there, but always managed some decent keepers. Also used to kill the crappies out of there. It really could be a nice lake with some management and regs.

-Rich