Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newton 11/15

Post Thanks / Like

Newton 11/15

We headed over this morning and got there about 9am. We fished the cold side and did pretty well. Biggest went 5.5 and another around 4.5. We caught about 40 more and left around 4pm. Everything on rattletraps they wouldn't even look at anything else. They hit them so hard they swallowed the traps a couple times. A couple others had the deep in the gils. Lake is closed this weekend and 4 days the weekend after thanksgiving.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newton 11/15

That sounds like fun......love the lipless crankbait bite in the fall!

Post Thanks / Like

That's the best thing about newton in the winter. I had 5 traps tied on and took 6 rods. If you haven't fished that lake I suggest you go. There isn't anything close to that good around.

Post Thanks / Like

Do the traps do good in the winter on the hot side ? I would like to fish that lake in the winter when its too cold to fish anywhere else...

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. I take other stuff but hardly ever use it. To be honest anything else is a waste of space imo. Bigger is not better on that lake either. Most of the shad are 2" tops. Spro jr's are the size I use. When it's real cold out a fire tiger crank bait is good as well. Sometimes you can get them on worms even in the winter. Just burn traps all day and you'll do fine. Oh and cover lots of water. Now til February is my favorite time on there. My buddy was taking out the other day and watched a weigh in that took 24# to win. Hard to pull that weight anywhere else in november. I can post some pics from yesterday if you want. The bass a very pretty there as well. A lot of them have big black spots on them too.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool , thanks for the info. Are they usually deep in the winter ?

Post Thanks / Like

love that place too, just wish they would let you run the big motor, like a no wake. love throwing a swim jig around some of the grass

Post Thanks / Like

They are never deep until summer. Always 8' or less. Right now all the grass is out of the water. It's at least 4' low.

Post Thanks / Like

big girls like it deep dd22 or dt16 in shad . won't catch near as many but if you are a toad hunter fish deep all year. Or try finesse worms on light line open water 15-18' again few fish but bigger.

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't do that well deep. Only time I can get a good bite deep is the middle of the summer using a Carolina on the old road beds or a jig. I catch good fish shallow all year there. When your best 5 are pushing 20 in the middle of november, I'm not changing a thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a reminder the entire lake is closed this weekend for deer season 19-25 plus Dec 2-5.
    I was there the 14th and had a better bite on a small white spinnerbait. Had to leave around 2 and the trap bite was picking up but all I could catch with it was small ones.
    At 70 plus years old I can't chunk a trap 6 hours.
    Caught 15 - 20 bass and no legals all far up in the cold side.
    Jim<)))><

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BASSENATOR View Post
    Just a reminder the entire lake is closed this weekend for deer season 19-25 plus Dec 2-5.
    I was there the 14th and had a better bite on a small white spinnerbait. Had to leave around 2 and the trap bite was picking up but all I could catch with it was small ones.
    At 70 plus years old I can't chunk a trap 6 hours.
    Caught 15 - 20 bass and no legals all far up in the cold side.
    Jim<)))><
    Hello everone, I will be going to Lake Newton soon. I know I should bring jigs, cranks, and lipless cranks How about the brand, depth, and color I should use for this body of water? Any other tips for this lake? Thank you