Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

diseased fish/fungus

in the winter its not unusual to catch large mouth here on Dale, with black ugly splotches,
    but sat. this 3-4lb large mouth took it past splotches actual large growths the size of acorn's i wonder if there a site i could forward this picture to for info.
    http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...e/100_1047.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: diseased fish/fungus

Try the TN department of fish and wildlife. Google to find their web site.

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa....................hope it's not the virus that causes hemorrhaging and is highly contagious. I forget what the name of the particular virus is, but I pray Dale isn't contaminated with it. It was spread (like Zebra mussels) and has led to several large fish kills.

I'm not an expert, so like Boone stated I would leave it up to the TN Department of F&W to determine. If they let you know something, please post the results -- I would like to know what they have to say.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen several pictures of largemouth from dale with those black splotches...I've heard several theories but does anybody know exactly what causes them?

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen several largemouths and smallmouths like the one pictured. We labeled one creek at Dale "Mutant Creek" because we have caught so many fish that either had splotches,half a jaw, missing an eye, or covered in tumors etc.

A guide at Dale told me several years ago that they lost a lot of big largemouths to LMBV (largemouth Bass Virus) back in the late 90's. I assume that it is a one-time kind of virus.
    It's still a good practice to bleach out your livewells if you keep any fish in them.

Post Thanks / Like

If it goes into my livewell, it goes home! Why take a fish to some other place so folks can look at it.I release almost all my fish, hate cfleaning them, and worrying about critters tearing up the garbage bags.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    I've seen several pictures of largemouth from dale with those black splotches...I've heard several theories but does anybody know exactly what causes them?
    According to the TN Dept. of F&W manual (I saw the manual not too long ago as a PDF file), the black splotches are a parasitic abnormality. It is not harmful to the fish. In fact, they are like birthmarks. I have caught fish from several lakes (Cedar Creek, KY Lake, Dale Hollow, etc.) that have this feature and they have only been largemouth. However, I have seen some fishing shows on the Great Lakes where smallmouth exhibit this coloring as well.

I have also heard that this means "there is a healthy fish population" or that "water quality is high". I don't believe these suggestions though -- I believe in the scientific theory that they are like skin blemishes like we have moles and birthmarks.

Post Thanks / Like

Makes me want to stop kissing all my fish on the mouth...or maybe that's what is wrong with the fish!!! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the picture closer fella's . We've all seen the black spots on fish. But look up at the back fin. That is the funky acorn type growth that I believe Rick is referring to. It looks pretty nasty to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen those black growths on the top. The splotches are common. I caught a LM at Barren in October that had a huge growth on its lower lip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    If it goes into my livewell, it goes home! Why take a fish to some other place so folks can look at it.I release almost all my fish, hate cfleaning them, and worrying about critters tearing up the garbage bags.
    i sent u a pm i have plenty of bait help yourself if u dont know the bait cage key is pm me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickhise View Post
    i sent u a pm i have plenty of bait help yourself if u dont know the bait cage key is pm me

And where is that bait cage Rick? hahha....I saw some pictures tonight of a couple guys that had been down there live bait fishing last weekend....they caught 18 and had 6 over 4lbs....headin down this weekend and just hope to have some of that luck