Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Left Handed Baitcasting anyone?

I just got my Xmas present for myself. Went to a local bass shop in the area and they had the last generation of curado in there (a 201DPV) for $138 and it was left handed, which i was going to look for in a baitcaster. So I got that and a KVD Tour Grade Quantam rod to fit it with... This is my first big purchase for a rod and reel and I have to say Im amazed by how much more of an improvement you get from the intermediate outfit I had before.

Digressing a bit there, but I got left handed because I feel like I can control everything more with my right and needless to say I couldnt of been more right(no pun intended)... After breaking the "Funny feeling" of reeling left handed with the baitcaster i think its going to be a lot less stress on my arms than trying to do motions with my left arm that just felt foreign to me.

Pitching is light years better without switching hands just from practicing with it.

Does anyone else on here use lefty baitcasters or on the fence considering it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Left Handed Baitcasting anyone?

I have the KVD rod in the Crankbait model (7'11)......man can I throw a Sexy Shad 6XD a mile!!!! I pair it with a pro qualifier or a johnny morris edition reel and love the combo....always right handed for me tho.

Post Thanks / Like

I use both RH and LH reels. Flipping and Pitching is easier with LH like you said. But I find ripping through grass much more pleasent with RH reels. I'm Right Handed, so if it's a bait that would require fast action I use RH reels, if it's more finesse and precision that is required, I use LH reels. The LH reel forces me to slow down. I don't know why, but it just does. To make it simple, Topwaters, Jerk Baits, Jigs I put on a RH reel. All else goes to a LH reel.

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy bought a left handed Diawa reel from someone just because he got it for $50.00 (I not sure of the model but a nice one). He is right handed but every since he has been using it, he wants to change all his reels to left handed now. I can see where it would be alot easier to not switch hands every cast but I haven't used one enough to get over the awkwardness.

Post Thanks / Like

This could just be coincedence but someone Im sure knows the answer.

Is the slower gear ratio= larger diameter on the reel handles... Like this DPV I just got is a nice wide rotation, not as big as a spinning reel rotation, but much greater than the rotation i have with my BPS baitcaster. I think that has helped make it a bit more normal for me.

Im going to get a veritas rod to match with the RH BPS baitcaster So I will still be going back and forth from left to right. But I will probably use lefty for Frogs and any baits that require lots of jerking action, As well as jigs.

Probably use righty for burning baits (Like you said you can reel faster with the right hand and its also a 6.4 to 1 as opposed to my 5.0 to 1 Lefty..)

Post Thanks / Like

I wish more of you righties would use left handed reels. Then maybe they would make left handed in every model for me! I should sue for discrimination against lefties!

Post Thanks / Like

its such a weird complex... dont the majority of right handed fishermen with a spinning rod for example control the pole with the right and reel with the left? Why do we switch that all of a sudden for baitcasting?

And by that logic shouldnt you be using a RH retrieve anyways JM?

Post Thanks / Like

Nope. Pole in the right hand, reel with left. All you people who switch back and forth or have left and right hand reels make me laugh.

Post Thanks / Like

Not that much experiance with it I bought a new quantum in left a few years back I stuck about a three pound fish and found myself holding the reel handle with my left hand and retrieving the rod with the right. needless to say that did not come out to well so back to the right hand I went and gave the reel away. Ford ,chevy toyota know what I mean

Post Thanks / Like

i have to palm the reel when reeling, so casting and then tryin to get my hand up to palm the reel is much easier a whole lot smoother when switching hands. no leftie reels for me. i tried for weeks. i hate it

Post Thanks / Like

they work great and cast well but wait until you get a really big fish on it then they are harder to handle

Post Thanks / Like

I'm RH & use all LH bait cast