Search Fishin.com

Thread: Trailer Check!

Post Thanks / Like

Trailer Check!

On my way to work this morning I got behind (maybe 50 ft before I turned off) a truck pulling a large generator on a trailer that had popped off the hitch ball. The trailer was pulling true and straight and dragging on the ground, sparks flying and grinding loudly with one chain holding it on.

I couldn't go and chase him because it was a two lane road and the last thing I wanted to do was be behind him when it gave way. Still don't understand how he didn't know??

Never seen that before. Check your stuff before you hit the road!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trailer Check!

I actually had that happen when pulling a boat once. It was a new to me boat (not my first), and it didn't grab the ball as good as my old one - but I thought it was just the differences in boats. Luckily it popped off on a back road about a mile from my house and I was only going about 25mph. Still scared the crap out of me - but I handled it good, just gradually slowed to a stop so it didn't roll under my truck and have my boat rear end me. I now jerk up and down on the trailer when hooking up to make sure it is locked down on the ball. That could have ended up bad if I would have made it to the highway.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trailer Check!

Had something similar happen to me once and was almost a disaster. It was an empty fertilizer buggy and was on the farm supply lot, barely moving, hit a little rough spot, only inches deep and was stopping my truck when the buggy rolled up and stopped beside my truck. I had lost the little spring pin out of the large pin that held the hitch in the receiver and the hitch was still attached to the fertilizer buggy. Scared the living $#*% out of me. The big boss above was looking out for me that day. Learned a lesson and now if anything does not have a good chain, it does not get hooked to my truck.