Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

wintertime flatheads

I came across this underwater video, of how big flatheads spend their time during the cold winter months. the little channel cats were up and about,but the big flatheads were in a deep sleep. I enjoyed it and thought some of you guys might like it. if you would like to watch it, on youtube it's called PILES OF FLATHEADS I'm going to try to put the link on here, if it don't work, type the title in on youtube and watch it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMtBNmLwM-Q
    Last edited by waterdog101; 12-18-2010 at 04:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: wintertime flatheads

That was way too cool!!! Lined up tight on the bottom. Not even a fin moving

Post Thanks / Like

That was very cool, I enjoyed the heck out of that, thanks. Hey Chuck where you at, this is one neat video.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    That was very cool, I enjoyed the heck out of that, thanks. Hey Chuck where you at, this is one neat video.

Chuck was in a boat up above them trying to get them to bite!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing

Enjoyed looking at all those fish

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

That right there boy's is why I don't fish for flats in the winter. Unless you drop a sinker on there head and a set of hot hands to warm them up, they are hard to catch....give me the Big blues and the sauger\walleye run and I'm happy as long as I keep my beverages warm.Great vid waterdog just reasures me of what I thought happens.....electronics is getting to ...........I don't know....kinda takes the fun outa things....just sayin...Chuck

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    That right there boy's is why I don't fish for flats in the winter. Unless you drop a sinker on there head and a set of hot hands to warm them up, they are hard to catch....give me the Big blues and the sauger\walleye run and I'm happy as long as I keep my beverages warm.Great vid waterdog just reasures me of what I thought happens.....electronics is getting to ...........I don't know....kinda takes the fun outa things....just sayin...Chuck
    Riverrat: You said something that I've wondered about. How to target blues instead of flatheads or channels. It is a matter of depth, or type bait, or just location that helps target one type or the other?

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to find that hole my grandaughters would go nuts on those channels!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppy View Post
    looks like that would be a honey hole for sure, grandaughters and grandad would enjoy fishing that honey hole.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what you call "Lock Jaw" right there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Riverrat: You said something that I've wondered about. How to target blues instead of flatheads or channels. It is a matter of depth, or type bait, or just location that helps target one type or the other?
    Bob until the river comes up for winter flood I like fishing channel drop offs and bends in the river. When the river comes up in Jan. I like to fish the mouths of creeks and smaller rivers,I'll start running back up into the smaller rivers (the Ky.is a good one) and looking for wintering holes.I'll start anchoring out giving each place about an hour and if nothing I'll pick up and move usually not to far and try again. As far as bait, cut skip and shad are good if frozen but if I can get live I'll use the whole thing. You can get some big ones this time of year if you can stand the weather. My biggest concern is keeping my beverages from freezing Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppy View Post
    There are alot of channels back up in creeks this time of year nightcrawlers,minnows,and chicken liver will work and sometimes you can get a big ole stripe on the liver. Course you will find alot of different fish back up in the creeks when the main river get's up. If I can find were the mud meets the clear you have a good place. Good luck Chuck