Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Anywhere not frozen?

If you read the subject line you know what's coming; do any of you fellas know of anywhere that is not frozen over right now? I'm gettin' itchy.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anywhere not frozen?

I would have to imagine that all smaller lakes that were stocked with trout have to be frozen....your best bet would be any of the streams on the stocking list. I know Trammel Creek is flowing nicely...a few trout left in it. Good luck Colonel! Merry Christmas!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

How did I know it would be you with the info Rich? Shoot man, all the streams up here near NKY are frozen solid at least an inch thick already. At least the ones that run near the house are, haven't actually drove out to little ol' Big Bone Creek. Thanks Rich.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colonelmeyer View Post
    How did I know it would be you with the info Rich? Shoot man, all the streams up here near NKY are frozen solid at least an inch thick already. At least the ones that run near the house are, haven't actually drove out to little ol' Big Bone Creek. Thanks Rich.
    No prob Colonel, I don't know how much help I was, lol. That is crazy that your streams are frozen solid up there, especially with the flow...must be slow moving streams. UT streams stay open all winter along, and that is with severe winters...you'll get a little ice on the edges, but not much. Of course, they are moving pretty good, so...I've been wanting to get out on 3 Springs lake out here in BG with the trout being stocked, but as of today...it's still frozen! Oh well....
    Good luck in your endevour man....and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

There not so much slow as they are shallow or too warm for trout. It is a trial at times. I was just in contact with our regional biologist and he confirmed for me that it wasn't stocked in October due to lack of water. It isn't on the list for febuary so it looks like march. Then the harvest restriction will be over and I'll have to fight the wormers until they catch them all. Just little stockers but still. It's the only actually stream we have near us with in an hours drive. There's always next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deaddrift84 View Post
    There not so much slow as they are shallow or too warm for trout. It is a trial at times.
    It is a given that 99% of the waters in KY can not support trout cause of water temps and poor oxygen....and the other 1% have to be continually stocked in order to maintain the population.
    I believe we were discussing ice on streams, which boils down to flow and depth. The faster moving streams will not ice as much as the slower moving streams...also the shallower streams will ice before the deeper streams. The deeper, fast moving rivers in UT never ice up, but you would see some ice accumilation around the banks on the slower, shallower sections.

Either way....ITS TO FREAKING COLD RIGHT NOW!!! COME ON SPRING!!!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Either way....ITS TO FREAKING COLD RIGHT NOW!!! COME ON SPRING!!!

-Rich
    ^^^^^this^^^^

next month should see some bass action in the farm ponds. Lots of beadhead wooly buggers ready for action as well as some Dalhberg Divers and Clouser Minnows!

Post Thanks / Like

Same here. Very excited about hitting Gunpowder for some smallies and of course about the impending reopening of Otter Creek park.

Post Thanks / Like

Colonel, when Otter Creek Park opens we need to hook up. I plan to be up there a lot. I caught my first fish on a fly rod there back in 1998 and have fished it a ton through the years. I used to work for a newspaper in Meade County and my office was about 15 minutes away. I kep rod, vest waders etc. in the back of my explorer and would hit it three or four times a week.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like an excellent idea. I do the same stuff, three fly rods, two spinning set-ups, vest, tackle box, wading shoes, folding chair, extendable golf ball grabber, basketball, etc., etc. Because we all know the time you don't have it...

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a warming trend is coming up over the weekend and into next week, should thaw out a lot of waters. I know they are planting 3 springs again this next week...plan on hitting it. Then...just a month and a half from stockings starting at Trammel and Jennings...CAN'T WAIT!!!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Colonel and I will both be at otter creek as much as we can when it opens. I can't wait. Were making a day trip down to the gorge this sunday. Thinking of fishing west fork of indian? Any suggestions?