Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Physical Fitness & Fishing

About a year ago I started adding some strength training to my cardio workouts and found it made a big difference in my fishing stanima. Now I'm able to stand (and therfore, have better hook sets) on the front deck while operating the trolling motors for several consecutive days without fatigue. Now my question is: has physical fitness helped your fishing, and if so, how?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Physical Fitness & Fishing

Man I'm all about this topic. I hurt my back in the Army 25 years ago and always had back problems after that. I started 15 years ago on core strength and overall fitness and it helped tons! It pays for anyone to strengthen their core just for balance and back strength.

Eating right while on the water is great as well. Stay away from the sugar, beer, fat rich foods and go for fruit, protein and other good foods. Munch alot throughout the day and drink plenty of water. Your more alert and not as drained at the end of the day.

In the winter I'll do pushups if I get cold and anytime I'm fishing a tourny I'll stretch. A few times I stretched on the back deck and naturally I'd get some comments..lol!

Still train 2-3 times a week even in the Winter. My back can still get jolted out of shape if I slip or play bball hard but I'm more careful as I get older.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what I would do without my gutt helping me haul in those big ones....guess I could buy a fighting belt instead...lol!

Everything in life is easier when you are healthy.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Man I'm all about this topic. I hurt my back in the Army 25 years ago and always had back problems after that. I started 15 years ago on core strength and overall fitness and it helped tons! It pays for anyone to strengthen their core just for balance and back strength.

Eating right while on the water is great as well. Stay away from the sugar, beer, fat rich foods and go for fruit, protein and other good foods. Munch alot throughout the day and drink plenty of water. Your more alert and not as drained at the end of the day.

In the winter I'll do pushups if I get cold and anytime I'm fishing a tourny I'll stretch. A few times I stretched on the back deck and naturally I'd get some comments..lol!

Still train 2-3 times a week even in the Winter. My back can still get jolted out of shape if I slip or play bball hard but I'm more careful as I get older.
    No fat, sugar or alcohol, why even fish LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zx150 View Post
    No fat, sugar or alcohol, why even fish LOL.
    LOL

Post Thanks / Like

About 7 years ago, the Army put an end to my life long dreams.. and since then i have pretty much hated anything that resembles PT... but i do agree with drinkin lots of water whiel out fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome post. I run every other day almost 4 miles and since I've been doing this my fatigue level greatly improved. Now I can stand long periods of time and even my arm strength is better. I lost 21lbs also, that didn't hurt, lol.

Exercise works fellas, yea it stinks sometimes, but it's worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

I could not fish the way I love without being physically fit. Two years ago I weighed 285 lbs and I was a soft as the Sta-Puft marshmallow man. I fished mostly from a boat and along small ponds.

My life changed and I now weigh 205 and lift hard ever day. I'm 42. Most of my fishing is now from a kayak and I know I can trust my body to get me back alive on the Ohio or the ocean. My ten year old son and I went on a four day "troutpacking" trip last summer to the Georgia mountains that I would not have even considered before. It's opened up new doors.

Most of the fisherman on this board strike me as self-reliant types. You have to be when you are on water, an unfamiliar element, chasing after sometimes powerful prey. We all try to use our minds to keep out of trouble, but when it finds us, you sometimes have to rely on your body to get us home.

Now, that does not mean that I have anything against a few beers out on the water... still one of life's great pleasures.

Post Thanks / Like

There's no doubt standing on the trolling motor all day can be exhausting....add in throwing a jerkbait or a deep diving crankbait and it becomes more like work....physical fitness helps but I don't think it's that important to fishing.....some of the best fisherman I know are overweight or older and sit up front in a seat all day....I recently cut way back on dipping and immediatly put on 25lbs.....I can tell it slows me down some just hope it doesn't affect my stamina next fishing season

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    There's no doubt standing on the trolling motor all day can be exhausting....add in throwing a jerkbait or a deep diving crankbait and it becomes more like work....physical fitness helps but I don't think it's that important to fishing.....some of the best fisherman I know are overweight or older and sit up front in a seat all day....I recently cut way back on dipping and immediatly put on 25lbs.....I can tell it slows me down some just hope it doesn't affect my stamina next fishing season
    I disagree. While I'm sure these are good fisherman you speak of they would tolerate the heat, cold, long days, tired muscles and aches and pains better being in shape......You said it they are older, overweight and sit and they do this to compensate for fatigue and stress on the body. JMO

It's a fact if your fit you move better and recover quicker especially when you get older. Im 47 and in the best shape of my life. The younger you are the easier it is to absorb the punishment of bass fishing. When I bass fish 4-5 days in a row 10-12 hours a day (spring time) I feel it and I feel it less now than 20 years ago.

Several professional anglers (I am not comparing anyone on here to them especially me) have gone to being fit and even hiring personal trainers and they do that because it helps you mentally and physically. Stretching your joints/muscles out helps alot as well.

Anyway that's my .02 again

Post Thanks / Like

4 yrs ago the wife and I both wqere members of a gym, we went 3 days a week, at least an hour a trip.It helped quite a bit, and we both close to 70 yrs old.But there were some problems, pulled a groin muscle, aggrevated a hernia,but I did feel better.Since our move turned into a couch potato.but I'm still on the right side of the sod.

Post Thanks / Like

I work out because I have to; otherwise my back would go out more than I ever did. Working out help you in all facets of life. Granted you don't need to be in great shape to fish; but if you want to fish hard for a few days in a roll being in shape will make it easier. It will also make it easier to want to do it the next time.

The few times I have fished for several days straight give me an appreciation for the tournament fishermen and the stamina they must have to have. As much as I like fishing; I would not want to do it like they do. It becomes work at some point. I am sure there are days they wish they would not have to go out to the lake.

That is my $.02. Yeah, you don't have to; but if you hope to stay active in your later years you better. It is an investment that pays off now and later.