Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hummingbird si

Post Thanks / Like

Re: hummingbird si

If you mount the transducer that comes with the Humminbird SI unit's in the right spot on your boat it will work at higher speeds for regular 2d depth readings and at low speeds for SI readings.

I can get depth readings at my boat's max speed and also get the SI to work at 4 mph and slower.

It all depends on your boat and where you mount the transducer.

I mounted my transducer on the back of my boat and about 16" away from the center line of my boat where the prop is located. Also you should look at the prop and determine if it turns clockwise or counterclockwise and mount the transducer on the side of least turbulence.

Air bubbles will stop the sound waves from going though at the same speed as they would in just water. So you must avoid air bubbles and turbulence around the transducer location.

Note: My boat's top speed is only 20 mph and the bottom of my boat is flat with rivets along the bottom.

I'd check other web sites and try to find some one else with a boat like mine if I wanted to know where to located the transducer to make it work at high speed and low speeds.

There are other web sites where people have posted pictures of how they mounted their transducers on many different types of boats.

Not everyone has chosen to use two separate transducers. Again it may depend on the shape of your boat's hull and transom.

Quote Originally Posted by slimshad09 View Post
    I did the same thing. Had to spend an extra $80-100. I was not happy after spending over a grand already. Now after all the time and money, I really like and enjoy it. Great to have, wish I had the money to get the bigger one though.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a ton of info on the Bass Boat Central website. The have a forum devoted to Hummingbird.

http://www.bbcboards.net/zeroforum?id=279

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe your boat only topping out at 20mph will work. At 70 it will not! I promise< you will need a Y cable and another puck. Good luck and the BBC boards are awsome!

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 1197, and it did take some fiddling with, but I get high-speed 2D now too, though like others have said, if I run over a stump or a rock, I'm sure I will be buying another SI ducer...yeowtch.

Another thing I have noticed...if I take any kind of turbulence under the boat, like crossing a wake hard or bouncing on a wave, it seems like air gets caught around the transducer, and I then have to slow down, get the 2D working again, and then go fast again.

I really should pony up for another 2D ducer and a switch...maybe this Spring.