Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

need a little advice please

Ive never really bought myself a quality rod and reel outfit,been saving a little and by spring i should have enough.My question is,what should i look for as a good, all around set up?I mostly use buzzbait,spinnerbait,cranks,soft plastics & jigs with my baitcasters.Been looking at curado E7`s but lost on where to start looking for a rod.Looking to stay in the 350 dollar range for the combo.Thanks in advance for all your help.Hope everybody had a good Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Re: need a little advice please

Revo's are great baitcasters. Best one I have owned so far. Not sure on rods I am looking to switch over myself this year to 1 set-up. If you want to use it for everything I would go with a med-heavy 6'6 or 7 foot. Look at warranties while you shop for rods. most guys on here can fill you in on that.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

CHECK OUT TEMPLE FORK RODS
    BASS PRO

they are Gary loomis rods, half the cost

also the carbon rods at bass pro are worthy

I also like Shimano cucial rods

I have all those and they work for me

Post Thanks / Like

get a shimano citica e 200 and a 6' 10" Shimano compre Medium Heavy action rod. This will be you favorite casting combo, if not I'll buy it off of you.
    This will be about $220.00 and has a lifetime warranty on both.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the quick replies,7:1 best all around speed?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by collins dental View Post
    Thanks for all the quick replies,7:1 best all around speed?
    I would say that anything with a 6:1 ratio would be the best all around baitcaster. 7:1 should be used for fast moving baits like buzzbaits, burning a spinnerbait, and presentations where you want to take up slack line quickly. 5:1 is good for power and crankbaits. When in doubt, remember this -- It's always easier to speed up than it is to slow down.

Post Thanks / Like

u need to weigh which method of fishing u do the most. if u throw crankbaits,spinner baits and buzz baits the most , u can get by with a less sensitive rod ,like abass pro crankin rod, and a reel with 6.4 to 1 ratio. if u fish mostly worms and jigs ,u need a more sensitive rod to help detect strikes and the 7 to 1 ratio reel would probably be better. the lighter,more sensitve rods cost more, but for cranking u dont need them. but then again ,all i ever catch are suicide bass!!! good luck

Post Thanks / Like

been looking at this rod, I like the price, and it has a retractable handle, check it out

http://www.abugarcia.com/products/rods/verdict

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by floatman View Post
    been looking at this rod, I like the price, and it has a retractable handle, check it out

http://www.abugarcia.com/products/rods/verdict

Gary
    Yeah that looks really cool, especially for me,i`m short so the butt end stays tied up in my shirt half the time haha.Does Backwater carry Abu?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by collins dental View Post
    Yeah that looks really cool, especially for me,i`m short so the butt end stays tied up in my shirt half the time haha.Does Backwater carry Abu?
    I don't know, but looks like you can order it off that web site

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

You wont go wrong if you just pick the best shimano rod you can afford. I have pretty much all of them, from the $50 convergence to the $250 cumara. All great rods for the price, and the cumara is a fantastic rod. Get a 7' MH for all around fishing. I use the 7' MH for everything except crankbaits and rattle trap type baits. Occasionally a heavy action, but if I could only do one it would be MH.

As far as reels, I like the Revo line, but shimano reels work for many folks.

You cant go wrong with reels that have stood the test of time, and when it comes down to it there are only two choices really: Shimano Curado or Garcia Revo. Both have been proven.

Also, retractable handles are for easy storage, not to be retracted while fishing.
    Last edited by Dave Stewart; 12-27-2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Edited out your slam about a particular business...read the discussion board rules about slamming a business.

Post Thanks / Like

I know I will get flamed for this, but if i had a $350 budget, i would buy a BPS Pro Qualifier Reel in 6.3:1 and then $250 for a light weight sensative rod. 7' MH fast tip. This will serve you well for sensativity when fishing soft plastics and jigs. It will help in hook sets for soft plastics, jigs, spinners, and buzzbaits. The only disadvantage is the fast tip is not so great for treble hooks, but if you loosen the drag a little and play the fish to counter the stiff tip, you can reduce the chance of the fish throwing the lure. If you go with a crankin stick made of glass with a moderate tip action you will loose all the sensitivity and hook set power.

So again i say Pro Qualifier on a killer rod like Kistler, G Loomis, or Dobyns.