Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coyote tips

Post Thanks / Like

coyote tips

Trying to get into coyote hunting, anybody have any calling tips that they care to share...do's and dont's?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: coyote tips

Take a look at predatormasters.com. Huge amount of info. Set-up is the key, along with persistence. Sneek into you spots and start calling. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stoner View Post
    Trying to get into coyote hunting, anybody have any calling tips that they care to share...do's and dont's?
    get a coyote estrus call and some coyote estrus scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Even in the dead of winter this board doesnt get much notice Been out 3 times and called in 2 yotes a double on the 2nd trip. Got one missed the other. Had a blast doing it but think I want to stick with hunting them when the temp is above 30.

Post Thanks / Like

Im certainly no expert but have put some fur down in the last seven years. I'll offer you some of the best tips I know.

1) sit still. Coyote,fox, and bobcat have beyond excellent eyesight. Scan with your eyes, not your whole head.
    2) watch the wind. Every stand should be chosen with attention to wind direction
    3) don't call too loud (mouth call or electronic)
    4) don't slam truck doors, AR charging handles, etc
    5) persistence. It's not at all like you see on TV. 35 blanks in a row is not uncommon. Don't get dissappointed too quick.
    6) don't over-call the same areas over and over. They get your number real quick that way.

Good luck. Any qs just ask.

Btw. I've been a member over on Predator masters 7 years now. Oughtta join. Tons of info

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TackleBox221 View Post
    Im certainly no expert but have put some fur down in the last seven years. I'll offer you some of the best tips I know.

1) sit still. Coyote,fox, and bobcat have beyond excellent eyesight. Scan with your eyes, not your whole head.
    2) watch the wind. Every stand should be chosen with attention to wind direction
    5) persistence. It's not at all like you see on TV. 35 blanks in a row is not uncommon. Don't get dissappointed too quick.
    6) don't over-call the same areas over and over. They get your number real quick that way.

Btw. I've been a member over on Predator masters 7 years now. Oughtta join. Tons of info
    joined PM yesterday and all can say is woooo doggies that's too candy for a nickel. Lots of info and always new stuff being posted. Thanks for the tip!

Post Thanks / Like

Coyotes

What are you using to call them in? Care to provide details and suggestions for the rest of us?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a foxpro e caller. Not doing anything special guess it shows too cause I've been out smarted by them each time I've been out. I think there is a lot of pressure on with more people hunting them. Just takes patients.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TackleBox221 View Post

Hi dude..I take a lot of benifit for your tips and get good result in hunting point of views.I understand all the tips but no 6 point is can not understand rightly that why do not call same area again and again?

Post Thanks / Like
    #6 just don't call too much at one time either. Give a coyote vocal for a few seconds and then remain quiet for about 5 minutes and still very still. Movement will give you away even if you are fully in camo. Move your eyes not your head.

Sometimes less calling is more effective. Patience is a virture. I wish I had more patience. I need to watch my watch in order to wait long enough. It's hard not to call more but less calling is more effective at first.

Also if there area yotes close buy calling too loud at the beginning of a stand may scare them off. So start calling softly just in case you have a yote close buy. You can always increase the volume later to bring in those yotes that are farther away.

These are some of the tips I've hear and read about.

You will read many of the same tips on Predator Masters

Quote Originally Posted by jati666 View Post
    Hi dude..I take a lot of benifit for your tips and get good result in hunting point of views.I understand all the tips but no 6 point is can not understand rightly that why do not call same area again and again?

Post Thanks / Like

Coyotes are smart critters

Quote Originally Posted by jati666 View Post
    If you call the same area too much they learn to not respond to your calls. Coyotes will come to the call when they are young and not educated but they also will instinctively circle to the downwind of the sounds and try to sniff out the prey or you. And they also will follow any cover to help stay out of sight. So you may never know that they are even there before they get your scent and are hi tailing it to the next country. Once the bust you they learn not to come back again. Expecially after they have been shot at a few times. They also will teach their pups to avoid humans. They learn and get educated really fast. Which is why the sport is so challenging. A lot of planning goes into a good coyote hunt.

Many really good coyotes hunters have multiple properties that they can hunt and they rest the one's that are over hunted and where the coyote are educated. It's always easier pickings in the fall when the young pups are out hunting on their own for the first time without mom and dad tagging along. In fact mom and dad kick the pups out of the den when mating season rolls back around in Jan. When it's cold outside and your hungry as a young coyote pup they tend to be easier to call in to a distress call. And as winter gets her the mating urges kick in full gear and the territorial responses get much stronger. This is when it pays to learn coyote vocalizations and how and when to use the.

So that's why in #6 above he says not to over call an area. And remember you may not be the only hunters out there with a Fox Pro E caller. There have been times when I was out scouting and had another coyote hunter call back at me thinking my coyote vocalizations were a real coyote and he tried to call me in to his hunting stand.

Years ago I was standing on my front porch one night around 9 pm right after it got dark and I could hear coyote howls not too far away. I at the time figured there were some coyotes in the area as there is a wood lot down that direction. But then years later I discovered that a guy had a tree house built at the edge of those woods. A developer bought the land between me and the woods and build a new road back there towards the woods though a big field. They are building houses left and right now in that field and it's nearly fully developed. When I moved in here I was one of only three houses on my road. Now there are at least 10 houses with people living in them and three or four more houses are being built right now. So I was able to drive down the road to the end and come back. At first there were deer standing in the field when I drove down to the end of the cul de sac and back. But now that there are more houses and more people the deer are gone. But I did finally see the tree house or Blind behind one of the new houses. There is another street that runs parallel to my street and the back of those houses is adjacent to the new road. So with the leaves now off the trees it's easier to see the other houses on the other road.

Maybe the guy who lives in the house with the tree stand in his back yard was playing his FoxPro out in the back yard and I thought it was a real group of coyotes? I'll never know unless I walk down there an talk to the guy and see if he calls coyotes too. But I've seen a group of coyotes crossing the road not far from my house so I do know that we have real live coyotes running around the area. They come into the burbs and hunt at night. I've trapped raccoons and possums off the back deck using my live animal trap. So there are a lot of forest critters running around the back yards where I live.