Search Fishin.com

Thread: Side imaging

Post Thanks / Like

Side imaging

Are the new humminbird units removable from your boat?I was thinking about the 798SI, but with all the stealing going on now days i usually take my old gps in with me at night.Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Side imaging

they remove with a button on the back, just like they always have

Post Thanks / Like

yes they are, i just got a 898

Post Thanks / Like

If you plan on buying the unit for SI and can afford it, I would lean towards a larger unit. I'm sure the 5" units (798) are nice and do everything the larger units do but I could see where it would be frustrating on the water trying to decipher images on the screen (especially with the split screen modes). I went with a 898 over the 798 for that reason after looking at them at the store.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 1197si and it's the best investment I ever mad it's my eyes under the water. It's amazing what this unit can do.

Post Thanks / Like

You're right, We have a 798cisi and with the split screen on, you are limited. Go for the 1197si if you can. As far as the features of both, it is a great fishing tool that will help you catch more fish. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Definately go with the bigger unit!!!! They have more power than the smaller - trust me I have had both!!!!! I know the price is a little higher but if you are going to invest that type of coin on one get one you will love instead of feeling like you settled - Like I did!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you use the large ram mount it's pretty easy to remove the unit. All you have to do is loosen up the ball joint and then unscrew the connector mount on the back of the control head to remove the entire unit. Takes me about 1 minute if I have a screw driver handy. But I tighten up the screw that holds the wires onto the back of the control unit with a screw driver to ensure a tight fit.

I have heard of others not getting a good connection where the 12 V DC plug into the control head. Some times the pins don't make a good connection and you have to either bend pins to get a better connection or get a new power cord.

They also sell some locks that prevents people from loosening the screw on the RAM mount. And then you can buy other locking screws for connecting the control head to the metal bracket.

Still the main thing you have to worry about is some one stealing your SDHC card out of the control head when you are not looking. It's way to easy to open the SDHC compartment and to pop out a $200 SDHC chip and walk away with it while you are in the bathroom at the gas station on the way to a fishing trip.

So it would be best to just remove the control head off the boat and store it in a secure location until you are ready to launch the boat and fish.

You might want to get a pelican case to keep the control head in while it's off the boat. Those pelican cases are nice and very secure. Lots of photographers store cameras in them.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy55 View Post
    Are the new Humminbird units removable from your boat?I was thinking about the 798SI, but with all the stealing going on now days i usually take my old gps in with me at night.Any help would be appreciated.