Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Crankin on summer nites ???

I know the fish are there but i cant catch me until they feed on the bottom, worms and all of that . This is deep points 10 to 20 ft . What kind of crankbait or is the answer ????

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crankin on summer nites ???

I have never had much luck on a crankbait at night - maybe because I just don't throw them that often after the sun goes down. It is hard for me to put up my spinnerbait. I use a black/blue or black/anything with short arm and larger single colorado blade.

Post Thanks / Like

try suspending baits,fat free,dd type or jerkbaits that you can keep above the them.lighten up your worm so it will not fall below them,swim it on a tight line just as if crapppie fishin,1\8th oz crappie grub will work well too or even a fluke floating through them,remeber most time suspended fish are hard to catch unless they are schooling to feed.i have done well with cranks at night.

Post Thanks / Like

Col pretty much nailed my answer...short arm spinner or a bulky jig for me. I try not to use anything with treble (trouble) hooks at night.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I've done pretty good with cranks at night, in the Summer ... well, used to, since I don't get to fish as much as I used to, these days.
    I generally use one of the following :

Wiggle Wart
    Hot Lips
    Wee R
    Bomber Model 6A

I'm usually fishing parallel to the bank, 12-18ft of water depth, stairstep rock or 45deg angled bank ... stop & go retrieve (but, only very occasional stops) ... 12lb test mono / 6.5ft Berkley Bass Hunter / Calcutta 200
    I'm rarely hitting bottom, so I believe I'm catching suspended fish or cruising fish that are not oriented to feeding on bottom. But, when faced with a deep point ... I do tend to fan cast "across" the point, and attempt to drag the crank along the point bottom (and may change crank to accommodate needed running depth). I'm mostly using cranks at night, when the plastics bite is shallower than 15ft ... simply because I can cover more water, faster, with the crank. Slow falling water levels, or heavy afternoon boat traffic are a couple of factors that tend to cause the fish to hold away from the bank bottom ... and that's when the night crank bite seems to come. (on Herrington in June, anyway)

.. pappy

Post Thanks / Like

I like black painted wiggle warts if i am gonna hit up the night crank bait pattern. I find this has caught a few fish, but i usually end up back with a 7" Black/Red T-Rigged worm.

Post Thanks / Like

Get you some DD22's and have them painted solid black, or black with a blue top!

Post Thanks / Like

The foxy shad and sexy shad colors will work just fine too, especially under the bright moon. Lot of money got won last summer with those at night. Make sure whatever you're using has rattles and goes deep enough to really dig into the bottom and fish slow. Like the spinnerbait the bite usually starts going away around mid-june.

Post Thanks / Like

Great info !!!! Thanks for all the help . See ya at the weigh in .