Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Keeping livewell from freezing

I'm heading to Dale this weekend and plan on throwing the bobber, jigs, and some shiners. If I pull my boat out and have my shiners in the livewell how could I keep it from freezing over night and ready for the next morning.
    Thanks in advance!
    Fish Hard!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Keeping livewell from freezing

that would be a bad idea. i see lines busting in your future

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SMALLIES View Post
    I'm heading to Dale this weekend and plan on throwing the bobber, jigs, and some shiners. If I pull my boat out and have my shiners in the livewell how could I keep it from freezing over night and ready for the next morning.
    Thanks in advance!
    Fish Hard!
    Just pray the temperature overnight doesn't go below freezing and you should be fine!

Post Thanks / Like

Would a bubbler work? I don't know how big your livewell is, but I'd think even if it freezes over you'd be ok. I've kept them outside in a bucket with a bubbler overnight before and had to break through half an inch of ice in the morning, but the shiners were fine. They use a lot less oxygen when it's real cold like that. Then again, I guess you don't want that water freezing over and damaging your livewell. You're probably going to have something added to the water anyway, to keep them alive in the first place. That's going to lower the freezing point somewhat. Like Know1 said, you'll just have to hope the temperature doesn't go below that point! Just about anything else you could try would probably kill the shiners.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure your shiners are in a bucket or something. Those little boogers will get in the drain and you wont find them until they start stinking

Post Thanks / Like

you might be able to add some salt to the water which will lower the freezing temp of the water...however I'm not sure if the bait could survive the saline water....not sure just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

you might think about putting at a marina and keep your boat in a covered slip over night JMO

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys! You know I thought about the covered slip idea so I called to see if they were open this morning and no one answered. So I left a message and even emailed them and still no answer. You think they are closed?

Fish Hard!

Post Thanks / Like

If no one is there than why not just put in into an empty slip. Don't think they will mind especially if you are, just ther one night

Post Thanks / Like

Circulating water does not freeze. The only way I would do that would be leave my pump on all night. Then you would have a dead battery. Cheaper to get more bait in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jbyrd View Post
    If no one is there than why not just put in into an empty slip. Don't think they will mind especially if you are, just ther one night
    I doubt they would mind especially if you leave them a message on the answering machine before you do it. Then leave another message when you leave with an address they can send a bill if they think it is neccessary.

My boat would not start one time after eating dinner at Moor's on KY Lake, the shop was closed and so was the main office so we left the boat there for the night and got shuttled back to the house a carload at a time. Went back the next morning and explained the situation to the manager. He thanked us for being good customers and told us if we needed to do it again, don't hesitate. As long as your intentions are good and you do not abuse the privilige, I doubt most resonible marinas would have a problem with it.

Post Thanks / Like

just put a small bubbler that uses a d-battery in the live well......you'll be just fine..