Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

TCU and National title?

Boys in my opinion they deserve a share of that title. Undefeated and played well to beat the Badgers. That Tank Carter is a beast.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TCU and National title?

I like the under dog success story. Their school has done well throughout their history and especially the last two years but that IMO isn't enough to get a piece of the desired pie. The BCS is confusing to me but the guidlines are put out there for everyone to play by and your either in or out.

They need to move to the Big East in 2012(I think) and start playing better teams and getting into an automatic bid conference. Lets see how they fair with teams in that Conference who will play harder and want to thump the new guys.

They deserve to be named in any conversation about playing their best but I don't think they played the best. JMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea good points, competition is definately a factor here I have to agree with that. If they had played in the SEC I doubt seriously if they would have been undefeated...

BTW, Did you happen to see their cheerleaders,

Post Thanks / Like

I would not consider the Wisconsin victory that big of a deal. Look at the Big Ten overall bowl results so far and you will see the conference as a whole is TERRIBLE.

Illinois beat Baylor by 24
    Northwestern lost to Texas Tech by 7
    Penn State lost to Florida by 13
    Michigan lost to Mississippi State by 38
    Iowa beat Missouri by 3
    Michigan State lost to Alabama by 42
    Wisconsin lost to TCU by 2

2-5 record with a net point difference of -76. Both Wisconsin and Michigan State, co-champions of the league got beat, and only Ohio State is left to carry the torch for the conference. A 4-4 record in the conference play got you a tie for 3rd place, so all considered a pretty weak conference. This being said the TCU victory over Wisconsin in a very good win, because the Wisconsin offense was on a ROLL coming into the game, but not a huge enough victory to get consideration for the national title.

My two scenarios to end all the NCAA Football squabbling:

I like a +1 format for a Championship in the NCAA Football. Add 1 game to the schedule after all the bowl games are completed. Since TCU did win and are undefeated then the winner of the Oregon / Auburn game plays them for the title. At least there would only be 1 undefeated team left after that game and the excuses of "schedule", "conference" or whatever is taken out of the equation.

The other option is take all the rankings and stuff that make up the BCS standings currently and take 1-4 and 2-3 and put them in 2 of the BCS bowls. Then the winners play each other the following week in the championship game. It only would add one week to the schedule, so it is all done by the 8th of January to not interfere with the NFL, NBA, NHL and other sports at that time. You can't take the top 8 teams or top 16 teams and add 4 weeks to the season plus that would mean the kids are playing 16 or 17 games to boot, this is not realistic. 1-4 and 2-3 is realistic and you could still rotate the championship game between the Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta, Dale Hollow Float n Fly Bowl or whatever bowl you wanted to in order to make it fair

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't call the conference terrible. They had a bad day and some bad match-ups. Michigan had no business playing on New Year's day they only got the invite because they travel well. Their defense can't stop anybody the Gator Bowl was a stretch at 7-5. Penn State versus Florida - Penn State lost by 13, but it was a pick 6 deep in Florida territory in the waning minutes driving for the go ahead TD. Plus the game was 60 minutes from Gainesville. A competitive game but indeed a loss. Michigan State vs. Alabama was a mismatch as well but I can't say much on that since Michigan State shared the Big 10 crown. That was a farce of sorts though as they didn't have to play Ohio State and got everybody else at home. If you watched them struggle against the likes of Notre Dame and Purdue late in the season you knew this game against Alabama was going to be a tail-whoopin of epic proportions. Or you could throw out the classic "well they didn't get the BCS bid so they were in a let-down spot in the Capital One bowl." That excuse worked for Alabama when they lost to Utah a few years ago. Ahh screw it I'm not going to use it Michigan State just got taken behind the woodshed. The worst 11-1 team you'll probably ever lay eyes on. Northwestern lost their starting QB late in the season what could you really expect from them. Wisconsin got beat by a good team by 2 points. No shame in that.
    We'll see what Arkansas does with Ohio State.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psprowler View Post
    I wouldn't call the conference terrible. They had a bad day and some bad match-ups. Michigan had no business playing on New Year's day they only got the invite because they travel well. Their defense can't stop anybody the Gator Bowl was a stretch at 7-5. Penn State versus Florida - Penn State lost by 13, but it was a pick 6 deep in Florida territory in the waning minutes driving for the go ahead TD. Plus the game was 60 minutes from Gainesville. A competitive game but indeed a loss. Michigan State vs. Alabama was a mismatch as well but I can't say much on that since Michigan State shared the Big 10 crown. That was a farce of sorts though as they didn't have to play Ohio State and got everybody else at home. If you watched them struggle against the likes of Notre Dame and Purdue late in the season you knew this game against Alabama was going to be a tail-whoopin of epic proportions. Or you could throw out the classic "well they didn't get the BCS bid so they were in a let-down spot in the Capital One bowl." That excuse worked for Alabama when they lost to Utah a few years ago. Ahh screw it I'm not going to use it Michigan State just got taken behind the woodshed. The worst 11-1 team you'll probably ever lay eyes on. Northwestern lost their starting QB late in the season what could you really expect from them. Wisconsin got beat by a good team by 2 points. No shame in that.
    We'll see what Arkansas does with Ohio State.
    If you wouldn't call the conference TERRIBLE then what is it?
    Conference finished 7th in Conference Power Rankings just .1 ahead of the Big East (we all know how powerful the Big East is in FOOTBALL)
    8 of the 11 teams had at least 5 losses
    4-4 conference record got you tied for 3rd in the conference
    0-3 record against non-conference top 10 opponents
    6-23 record against non conference teams ranked from 11-25
    6-7 record against non conference teams ranked 26-40
    This is combined 12-33 record against non conference teams ranked 1-40
    28-20 record against non conference teams ranked 41-75

Post Thanks / Like

I'd call it average.

Nobody from the big 10 can beat Auburn or Alabama in my opinion, but match them the rest of the way and I think you would see some more competitive games. Michigan State got smoked, period. But Michigan vs. Mississippi St. would be like me against you on Dale Hollow on January 1, and I'm not Mississippi State. Michigan should have played in the third week of December not January 1. Mississippi State versus Michigan State would have been a better match up. Michigan is on the same level as say Kentucky or Georgia this year. Remember how everybody dissed the ACC earlier this year? Well, one of their conference winners beat an SEC conference winner, North Carolina beat Tennessee in a home game for Tennessee. Central Florida from conference USA beat Georgia. All competitive games. The SEC as a whole is a step above the rest. A couple of big 10 teams did step up. Iowa beat a top 15 ranked team even though their best player was running a crack house and kicked off the team. Illinois beat Baylor who on paper looked to be the better team. It's all about who they pair up for the bowl games.

Now the Ohio State versus Arkansas is one matchup where a top tier team from one conference is playing a mid to upper level team from another. Ohio State should win this game. We'll see how it pans out.

The mountain west went 4-1 this bowl season, with only Utah getting smashed by Boise St. Again, a mismatch. TCU's resume is just as good as Oregon's, who is going to get destroyed by Auburn. TCU has the same right to get destroyed by Auburn in my opinion.

I'm basically saying that the SEC is a notch above the other conferences but then the rest are fairly even. Syracuse won a bowl game this year, and Pitt might beat UK even though who's going to coach the Panthers at this point?

A playoff would be optimal. I'm not a fan of "this team travels well so they get a better bowl slot system" that we have now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Boys in my opinion they deserve a share of that title. Undefeated and played well to beat the Badgers. That Tank Carter is a beast.
    I agree. I hate the BCS with a passion. Let them play a playoff.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Ohio State is in big trouble against Arkansas. Tressell 0-9 against the SEC in Bowl Games and last I checked Arkansas was in the SEC. I think Arkansas wins the game pretty handily and it will make the Big Ten look even worse, almost Mid Major like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    I think Ohio State is in big trouble against Arkansas. Tressell 0-9 against the SEC in Bowl Games and last I checked Arkansas was in the SEC. I think Arkansas wins the game pretty handily and it will make the Big Ten look even worse, almost Mid Major like.
    BAHAWAHABAHA, Care to rethink that one, LMAO.... The only reason it was even close was that Ohio St took their foot off the gas too early. They owned Arkansas like a cheap suit in the first half..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    BAHAWAHABAHA, Care to rethink that one, LMAO.... The only reason it was even close was that Ohio St took their foot off the gas too early. They owned Arkansas like a cheap suit in the first half..
    Never seen a team spitting up chicken bones so bad as the Buckeyes did. Yes they won, took the foot off the gas, no way. Now the Big Ten is the upper Mid Major Conference and OSU finally beat an SEC team in their 10th try. I forgot an ex-Louisville coach was at the helm of Arkansas, figured his team would be the one to break the SEC streak against the Buckeyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    Never seen a team spitting up chicken bones so bad as the Buckeyes did. Yes they won, took the foot off the gas, no way. Now the Big Ten is the upper Mid Major Conference and OSU finally beat an SEC team in their 10th try. I forgot an ex-Louisville coach was at the helm of Arkansas, figured his team would be the one to break the SEC streak against the Buckeyes.
    Always with the cheap shots on Louisville........