Search Fishin.com

Thread: Fly Shops?

Post Thanks / Like

Fly Shops?

Does anyone know the locations of any fly fishing shops near Evansville? I'd go into American Legacy, but that place is crazy expensive.

I'm trying to get into fly fishing, and I'd like to actually try one out before I buy it.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fly Shops?

you need to get with a person who has a outfit before you invest in it... I got one last year thinking I would enjoy it but it wasnt what I thought it would be.

are you fishing for bass or panfish? there are different size rods for the different size lures and lines you throw... bass require an 7-9wt and about 8 to 9ft in length. They also require you to get new line from whatever comes with it, and its like 60 to 80 bucks. Bass plugs are heavier than the regular flys you may throw.

The bass pro shop in Clarksville, IN has a full fly shop and the guys will demo the product for you... the cheapest outfit there is like 80 bucks.

I dont want to discourage you from trying, but its very labor intensive and not anything like using a normal rod/reel and is better for someone who isnt on a budget.

Post Thanks / Like

Gander has a very limited amount of fly stuff. Big John who's on here works there and may help you out? Legacy has a few already setup at their shop they may let you try it out in the parking lot to see if it's really for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the good advice, Clark and Justin.

I am fortunate in that cost isn't a big hurdle for me, even though I still try to be pretty frugal (I hear some of my fishing buddies laughing at that one ).

Yes, I have heard that putting together a fly rod combo isn't as simple as putting a 6wt rod with 6wt line...some combos "work", and some don't.

Add that to my total lack of experience, and I'm not sure I'm even the one who can tell if my combo "feels right."

Clarksville, hmmmm. Maybe next time I go to Patoka in the Spring, I'll just run to Clarksville first. I'd hate to drive all the way there just to buy one fly rod. I guess I'd have to buy a couple to make the trip worth my while LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

I will sell you mine if you want it... I got it for 80 or 85 at bass pro... I think its 9ft and 8wt. It was an idea that was alot more expensive / harder to do than I originally thought.

Ive got like 4 flys still... I dont have any leader or tippets, i just tied blood knots down in regular fishing line. I have the original line that comes on it but i would recommend getting the other kind for bass fishing that can launch the heavier flies.

Id want $50 plus whatever it costs to ship it. It will still be under warranty until july i think.

If your interested let me know.

also a good place to get flys is orvis fly shop.... its an internet shop but It had lots of good flys.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw where Gander Mountain has several different starter fly fishing sets on display. Trout, bass and panfish sets were visible. They come with the right size rod for that species along with a Scientic Anglers Reel which is spooled with backing and fly line with leader.

Learing to fly fish is not that hard if you watch a few videos or read some fly fishing books and are half way coordinated. Just takes a while to practice the proper technique. Remember that you cast the "LINE" not the lure when using a fly rod.

The hard part of fly fishing is getting the fly to go where you want it and without drag in fast moving water. Learning to mend the line and to get the fly in the right spot where it drifts in a natural motion is the hard part.

But if you are fishing for bluegill and bass you won't have to learn all that stuff that you need to know for catching trout. So it's a lot easier and a lot more fun to learn catching bluegill during the spawn.

I have been fly fishing for since the early 1970's. I started out using a bamboo fly rod which is a lot harder to use than the modern graphite rods.

The key to fly fishing is to match the line weight to the rod and to wait for the line on the back cast before going forward.

You will tie a lot of wind knots in the beginning so be prepared to tie on a lot of new leaders.

BTW Scientific Anglers is a good company and they make a lot of different fly fishing rods and reels. A fly reel is just a tool to hold the line.

I don't know of any speciality shop in this area that specializes in just fly fishing gear.

Walmart and Kmart use to carry some fly fishing rods and reels back years ago. Check out the Evansville West Side Walmart and the Boonville Walmart as they seem to have a better sporting goods dept when it comes to fishing stuff.

****'s Sporting Goods store may carry some fly fishing stuff too. But I have not checked them out in a while so I don't know if they have any fly fishing stuff in stock now.

Quote Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
    Does anyone know the locations of any fly fishing shops near Evansville? I'd go into American Legacy, but that place is crazy expensive.

I'm trying to get into fly fishing, and I'd like to actually try one out before I buy it.

Thanks.