Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knot Wars

Post Thanks / Like

Knot Wars

I'm sure some of you guys have seen this on North American Fisherman. Last fall I started using Berkley 100% Fluorocarbon and I have always tied a Palomar knot but I have had trouble with knot failure using the larger 17 lb. Fluorocarbon line. There are so many knots for so many different applications, is there any suggested knot that works best for heavier Fluorocarbon? Knot Wars suggest which are stronger knots but I think there is a difference in the strength of the knot between Mono and Fluorocarbon. I don't want to risk trial and error...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Knot Wars

In a issue of "bassmaster" this was addressed, and one pro, gary klien, i think recommended the "eugene bend knot" they have a diagram of how to tie it. I always use the "trilene knot" myself.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the best luck with a double clinch for fluoro. Loop thru the tie twice, keeping them parallel and then just finish like a normal clinch. I have tried a double eugene bend but it doesn't seem as consistent, imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I have never had a problem with the Palomar on Flouro, Mono or Braid. I tie the same knot on my FNF 3-way set up and that is Braid to swivel, Flouro to swivel and Flouro to jig and NEVER had one single knot problem. I rarely use Mono because I don't fish topwater that much but when I did, still never had a problem with the Palomar knot. I thin it is the way you tie the knot, you have to make sure it is MOIST when cinching down, I don't cinch too fast as to make more heat build up in the knot plus make sure it is on top of the eye of the jig an not down around the bottomof the eye of the jig when cinching down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    Personally I have never had a problem with the Palomar on Flouro, Mono or Braid. I tie the same knot on my FNF 3-way set up and that is Braid to swivel, Flouro to swivel and Flouro to jig and NEVER had one single knot problem. I rarely use Mono because I don't fish topwater that much but when I did, still never had a problem with the Palomar knot. I thin it is the way you tie the knot, you have to make sure it is MOIST when cinching down, I don't cinch too fast as to make more heat build up in the knot plus make sure it is on top of the eye of the jig an not down around the bottomof the eye of the jig when cinching down.
    I agree with the MAN. Palomar is my go to knot when ever I can use it. Never had a problem with it. Only restrictions are when the lure is TOO LARGE to pass through the loop, or to large to pass through the eye of a small FF midge.

But that is not to say an old man can't learn new tricks, ref: my questions on\ the Fly Fishing Board, http://www.fishin.com/forums2/showthread.php?t=84569
    That Pitzen knot looks interesting and I'll be testing it out on my flies.
    Last edited by FlyLie; 01-11-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

trilene knot easiest. Figure 8 is another vaRIATION OF IT, BOTH WORK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    I agree with the MAN. Palomar is my go to knot when ever I can use it. Never had a problem with it. Only restrictions are when the lure is TOO LARGE to pass through the loop, or to large to pass through the eye of a small FF midge.

But that is not to say an old man can't learn new tricks, ref: my questions on\ the Fly Fishing Board, http://www.fishin.com/forums2/showthread.php?t=84569
    That Pitzen knot looks interesting and I'll be testing it out on my flies.
    Easy Gary for I know without a shadow of a doubt that I am no where near being the MAN. You said one of the problem was when the lure is TOO LARGE to pass through the loop. Just make the loop larger. I have tied 14" long trout imitating lures using it. Literally you can make the loop large enough to put yourself thru it if you need to.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Palomar on everything except topwater. When attaching line to line I use a blood knot and it has worked everytime.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post

I agree with you elnut, I have always used the Palomar but like I said when I started using the heavier Flouro I had two big fish that left me with a squirly noodle at the end of my line as if the knot failed which dropped my confidence in the knot for that type of line. Perhaps your right, there is a chance that I got into a hurry and did not seat it correctly. Thanks for the reply. I found this video that I caught my attention...

[FONT=Consolas][COLOR=#800080]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGZ8SBI8sGI[/COLOR][/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BassMasterMikeD View Post
    I agree with you elnut, I have always used the Palomar but like I said when I started using the heavier Flouro I had two big fish that left me with a squirly noodle at the end of my line as if the knot failed which dropped my confidence in the knot for that type of line. Perhaps your right, there is a chance that I got into a hurry and did not seat it correctly. Thanks for the reply. I found this video that I caught my attention...

[FONT=Consolas][COLOR=#800080]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGZ8SBI8sGI[/COLOR][/FONT]

Biggest Flouro that I use is 14-15lb on my baitcasters in the spring at Ky Lake and never had a problem. Anything bigger and I don't have an opinion on.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the "Eugene bend knot" exclusively with floro. As mentioned the trick is to moisten before securing. Also, when tied correctly, the knot makes a pop or click. I have landed a 7pnd in heavy cover with this knot on 17pnd BPS floro. Fyi March 2009 edition Bassmasters magazine.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the palomar knot for everything as well. I also checked out the aforementioned article in Bassmaster...the one knot that I can NOT seem to tie is the line-to-line knot. I still haven't figured out how to tie flouro to braid...what do you guys use and do you know of a website that illustrates it?