Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knot Wars

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Knot Wars

Quote Originally Posted by twise7 View Post
    I use the palomar knot for everything as well. I also checked out the aforementioned article in Bassmaster...the one knot that I can NOT seem to tie is the line-to-line knot. I still haven't figured out how to tie flouro to braid...what do you guys use and do you know of a website that illustrates it?
    Is there a sprecial knot for that application? I used the blood knot and it works just fine for that. If it bothers folks then put a spot of glue on it but I don't think it needs it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    I use Palomar on everything except topwater. When attaching line to line I use a blood knot and it has worked everytime.

This is what I do but I use the palomar on topwater as well. I use the blood knot for attaching two lines, even though I usually screw it up a couple of times before I get it right.

Post Thanks / Like

For topwater, I do use what is called a "Loop Knot" easy to tie and does not cinch all the way down on the eye of the bait which gives it more action.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    For topwater, I do use what is called a "Loop Knot" easy to tie and does not cinch all the way down on the eye of the bait which gives it more action.
    Same here. Eliminates the use of a split ring and gives the lure different action depending on the size of the loop. I learned of it years ago when reading an article about topwaters and the famous fly fisherman, Lefty Kreh. Although it was primarily a fly fishing knot, it is a very popular knot among bass pros for their topwater needs and it has served me well. However, I only use it for a "Sammy", Spook, frog, or Pop-R type lure -- buzzbaits need not apply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shimano4Life View Post
    Same here. Eliminates the use of a split ring and gives the lure different action depending on the size of the loop. I learned of it years ago when reading an article about topwaters and the famous fly fisherman, Lefty Kreh. Although it was primarily a fly fishing knot, it is a very popular knot among bass pros for their topwater needs and it has served me well. However, I only use it for a "Sammy", Spook, frog, or Pop-R type lure -- buzzbaits need not apply.
    Same here, Sammy's, Spooks, Pop R's, Frogs, Rats, and such. Buzzbait get tied straight to the wire bend with Palomar for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BassMasterMikeD View Post
    I'm sure some of you guys have seen this on North American Fisherman. Last fall I started using Berkley 100% Fluorocarbon and I have always tied a Palomar knot but I have had trouble with knot failure using the larger 17 lb. Fluorocarbon line. There are so many knots for so many different applications, is there any suggested knot that works best for heavier Fluorocarbon? Knot Wars suggest which are stronger knots but I think there is a difference in the strength of the knot between Mono and Fluorocarbon. I don't want to risk trial and error...
    the knot wars segment on that show is a bunch of balogna. the knots hardly ever fail, the breaks are almost always in the line and they declare some knot the winner when neither knot failed. i always stick with a palomar knot, just make sure you wet the line before sinching and make sure the double line is not crossed in the eye of the hook or lure. this knot has never failed me when tied correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    Easy fix here, put split rings on everything and tie whatever you want. Split ring lets it walk like a dog......... I have tied the loop knot and used Split rings and I can't see one bit of diffrence in the action or fish catching ability. And I ain't bragging but I bust some bass upside the head with a Spook.