Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hog Hunting in Kentucky

Just got back over the weekend from hunting with Larkin's Outfitters in White Plains, KY. Casey Larkins runs a no-fence operation for several species and his hospitality is phenomenal. It was the 2nd year in a row I've hog hunted with Casey and its a great way to get out and extend your hunting season. Anybody battling cabin fever and frozen water should look him up and go chase some hogs close to home.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hog Hunting in Kentucky

Gee i wonder where those wild hogs came from and how they got out there. What all different types of hogs did you come across down there in White plains?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IronWorker View Post
    Gee i wonder where those wild hogs came from and how they got out there. What all different types of hogs did you come across down there in White plains?
    The general story from the folks in the town is that when ownership of a deer hunting lodge in the area was transferred about 10 years ago, the hogs started showing up on neighboring properties within two weeks of the auction date. Don't know if its true or not, but that's the story.

The hogs running around appear to range from bloodlines that mostly just feral hogs to some that appear to be pretty high percentage Russian blood with the high shoulders, long necks, and straight tails.

Post Thanks / Like

Any size on the hogs? Mostly 100# and less? Do they help butcher them? Pack the meat? Anything like that? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was 128 lbs. There were two larger ones in the group that it came in with, but daylight was slipping away and they weren't providing clear shots so I took while the taking was good. Casey says they've taken several boars in the 300 lb range and one sow that maxed out 400 lb scales before she was completely off the ground, but I think the 75-200 lb range is typical. I do all my own meat processing but he said that for $40 they would skin and quarter a hog for transport in coolers. I like the place because is way cheaper than heading to a lodge in Tennessee. $150 to hunt for 3 days and $150 fee per hog. I also like the semi-guided style as opposed to having a guide coaching your every move. Casey takes you out, shows you the property, his stands, the areas the hogs are using, and turns you lose. Its also nice to know that I'm keeping my dollars in the state.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Did u see the show "pig bomb"? It was on last night. Pretty good footage of some big boys.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't see it last night, but I have caught parts of it before. They're pretty intimidating critters.

Post Thanks / Like

While stationed in Germany we would see some huge Boar while out walking the forest on guard. I usually stayed clear of those bad boys.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hog Hunting Trip

Hunting trip planned for March 15 - 18, 2012. Wilderness Hunting Lodge, Monterey TN. Contact me for details 270.217.4937

Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago a veternarian from Northern KY was accused of turning hogs loose in the southern part of the state. I won't give his name just in case it isn't true. I don't remember any more of the story than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ckline2006 View Post
    Just got back over the weekend from hunting with Larkin's Outfitters in White Plains, KY. Casey Larkins runs a no-fence operation for several species and his hospitality is phenomenal. It was the 2nd year in a row I've hog hunted with Casey and its a great way to get out and extend your hunting season. Anybody battling cabin fever and frozen water should look him up and go chase some hogs close to home.

I tried to contact them for a hunt and got an answering machine . I left a message but never got a reply. I'd really like to hunt there . Do you have a good telephone number for them?