Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Red River Gorge Area

So what type of flies do you guys use there?

Mostly when I go i take chain-eyed buggers (in 8's), and here lately madam x's (in 12's I think) and foam beatles (in whatever the hooks are that my cat spilled).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Red River Gorge Area

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly_fly_fisher View Post
    So what type of flies do you guys use there?

Mostly when I go i take chain-eyed buggers (in 8's), and here lately madam x's (in 12's I think) and foam beatles (in whatever the hooks are that my cat spilled).
    add ice flies to the list

Post Thanks / Like

Never been there, but I wouldn't go there without my essential nymphs and buggers. They work wherever there are trout.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I have one stand out fly I like for down there. It's called the rubber band fly. You rarely see it in anyone's boxes and thus neither do the fish It's really simple to tie. Wrap thread of whatever color down the length of the shank to the bend and back up to the eye. Secure appropriately sized bead chain eyes and webby saddle hackle to the front behind the hook eye. Half hitch once or twice to add strength. I like to even cement the wraps that go over the hacle for a super tough fly. Tie in a length of what ever color rubber band you want for the back (enough to run it down over the shank and fold it over and back to the eyes). Wrap the thread back to the bend of the hook shank. Wrap the hackle down the shank back to the hook bend and tie off. Then lay the rubber band over the top of the shank and fold over. Wrap it several times to secure. Leave a little bubble in the band on the bend side. Then work the thread down over the rubber band toward the hook eye for the rib, being careful not to tie down the hackle. Secure behind the chain eyes and whip finish. Leave a little stub sticking up on the rubber band. Cement and your done. The rubber/ bead chain combo makes for a fly that gets down to a few feet then tends to suspend. Its deadly in alot of conditions and is very flexible on color! In larger sizes with a marabou tail, this is a deadly crappie/ panfish fly as well. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

small (#4 or 6) unarticulated tungsten circus peanut

Post Thanks / Like

When I fish our stocker stream I keep it simple. I like to use an attractor fly like an Adams or Royal Wulff and fish either a BHPT or Bead Head Hare's Ear nymph on a dropper.

I am thinking of making the drive down there on Thursday the 17th if anyone wants to tag along.

Post Thanks / Like

Broseph and I are day tripping it to the Gorge tomorrow. Hopefully we will be able to take advantage of this first warm up. If we score, there should be a few pictures. If anyone else is going to be around we will be the two guys that look alike. Wish us luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Skunked. Didn't even see a fish. No minnows, not even a sculpin. Did see some insects though. A few midges coming off the water. What looked to be some rather large mayflies as the temp broke 50 and a humongous brown moth dived of me. Spotted three other folks fly fishing, didn't talk to them but they looked rather agitated. Taking the looks on their faces as proof of a fish-less day. Better luck next time I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colonelmeyer View Post
    Skunked. Didn't even see a fish. No minnows, not even a sculpin. Did see some insects though. A few midges coming off the water. What looked to be some rather large mayflies as the temp broke 50 and a humongous brown moth dived of me. Spotted three other folks fly fishing, didn't talk to them but they looked rather agitated. Taking the looks on their faces as proof of a fish-less day. Better luck next time I suppose.
    Colonel, that is not the report I wanted to hear. A buddy and I are planning on making the trip on Saturday. Did you guys hit East fork of Indian? Swift Camp Creek?

Post Thanks / Like

We fished Indian from the confluence with East Indian about 2.5 to 3 miles downstream. The water was looking a lot better than it did last time I was there in July. Some of the slack water still had a bit of ice on it in the morning but most of that had melted off by the afternoon. That big pond looking pool at the confluence still had a thin sheet of ice and I spotted what I believe to be the much dreaded didymo on the gravel below there. Hope I'm just paranoid and it is native algae or something. Treating my gear anyway. Did not actually fish East Indian though I did drive up a ways near where that first yellow trout sign is by that big boulder all the kids carve their name into. There was some ice in front of and behind that bolder obscuring my view into the deeper water (not to mention making it unfishable). That water was as you may expect crystal clear, could see to the bottom in water up to my chest clear as day. Those other folks where fishing in East when we drove up 9B and they where packing it in when we drove out, scowls and all. We almost gave up on fishing earlier when it sunk in that if there where fish there they must have invented a cloaking device. Staring up at those huge boulders imagining some bear sleeping up there got me thinking about trying to find a den and having Nick video me trying to pet a sleeping bear. That is exactly how desperate I get when I can't find the fish. Didn't even see any of the usual suspects hanging under the bridge in that nice run they made for them. It was sorry. We reckon they must have moved either downstream or into the river due to the prolonged extreme cold this winter. I threw size 16 BH nymphs at first, then threw on a zebra midge below it when I starting seeing those little guys. It was good to stretch out the ole' casting arm and get back in the water either way. If you guys find em' please let me know what we're doing wrong, cause I sure as hell would like to know.

Post Thanks / Like

Ehhh, maybe that was only about a mile, mile and half. When you fish Swift Camp, do you go on up to exit 40 and come in on 715?

Post Thanks / Like

Colonel I am not real good with the road numbers down there. We got off at the Slade Exit and go down to the road that takes you in through Nada Tunnel and on up toward the visitor center. I will see if I can find my book that has the road numbers and I will let you know. I guess we are going to go ahead down there on Saturday. If we don't find any fish at least we will be out with fly rod in hand and looking at some scenery.