Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

More knot stuff- Pitzen vs. Palomar knot

After reading the posts on knots to attach flies or lures I decided to do my own unscientific test. I had a spool of ten pound test mono handy so I used that. I used two 2/0 hooks. I tied a Palomar knot to one hook. I tied a Pitzen knot to the other. I put the line through the eye of the hook twice when tying the Pitzen Knot. (the Palomar is by nature a double line knot) I made three turns down the line with the Pitzen Knot. The distance between the hooks was about two feet. I tied four of these. I held each hook with pliers and pulled with a steady pull until something broke. The Pitzen Knot broke the Palomar Knot all four times. When I when through the hook eye only one time for the Pitzen Knot the results where about equal for the two knots. I am making no claims other than what happened with my unscientific test. I hope those who read this will do their own test to see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: More knot stuff- Pitzen vs. Palomar knot

Just found out that the knot I've tied since I was a little kid is called the Pitzen knot...and I have never had that knot fail me, unless it was my fault with a crappy tie, or to light of line. I believe your study 100%! go Pitzen!!!
    -Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Good Info....thinking I'll be switching to the Pitzen.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried the Pitzen but have rarely had an improved cinch fail on me. However, if you are having a lot of trouble there is a product from Loon Outdoors called UV Knot-Sense which you can apply to your knots streamside and hardens almost instantly when exposed to sunlight. I don't use it much at all but it can be helpful when fishing streamers on light tippet, if I do use it I find that the tippet itself will break before my knot does.