Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

UK and South Carolina

I only watch about 2/3 of the game but other than Jones having a good game Miller looked great. When he would drive and stop within 5 feet of the goal and shoot he looked unchecked. They just couldn't match up with him. Maybe Miller will get that fire and confidence and use that game as a stepping stone to improve him game.

Knight...well what can you say? He is just solid again.

I wonder if that verbal lashing Jones got last game helped him understand that this is big time basketball in the NCAA?? He sure looked like the Jones from earlier in the season.

Good road win for UK...I'm sure it feels good after last years loss to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: UK and South Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    I only watch about 2/3 of the game but other than Jones having a good game Miller looked great. When he would drive and stop within 5 feet of the goal and shoot he looked unchecked. They just couldn't match up with him. Maybe Miller will get that fire and confidence and use that game as a stepping stone to improve him game.

Knight...well what can you say? He is just solid again.

I wonder if that verbal lashing Jones got last game helped him understand that this is big time basketball in the NCAA?? He sure looked like the Jones from earlier in the season.

Good road win for UK...I'm sure it feels good after last years loss to them.
    We still shows signs of individualism.....I think they should watch " Hoosiers"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redneckshadrap View Post
    We still shows signs of individualism.....I think they should watch " Hoosiers"
    First off, Hoosiers cures everything....one of my favorite movies of all time....and I totally agree that Cal ought to cue it up in the film room. I'd love to see all those blank stares asking on what planet there could be a team of 7-8 short white boys. LMAO! If Cal told the boys to run the picket fence and not get caught watching the paint dry, I'm afraid the only ones that might get it would be Hood, Polson, and Harrellson. LMAO! Of course, we did have our own version of "Shooter" coaching two years ago.

But back to the Cats versus the Fightin Chickens...as good as I thought they played most of the game, I was real disappointed with the comeback they allowed USCjr to almost pull off. We got up 18, got lazy, and let them mount a late comeback...I think they got it within 5...that crap will kill you on the road in March! Gotta play tough for 40 minutes, even with a big lead!

Oh yeah, and Jones' dunk was a complete and udder posterization after he had been stuffed the last time down the floor. WOW.

Post Thanks / Like

This team is talented no doubt. But every game is different, and you never know who is going to step up, or who is going to disappear. If they can gel, and play together like last years team, they will be hard to beat. Or it could go the other way, and we could be looking at 10 losses. Its hard to say.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you guys hear what Calapari called Jones?? Frickin Hillarious if it's true, he called him an Effin ballhawg, lol. I really like Knight, he is a gamer and a smart player. Jones is the chairman and the President of the ''ME'' generation without a doubt. Miller should shoot more, he and Liggins are the glue on this team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Did you guys hear what Calapari called Jones?? Frickin Hillarious if it's true, he called him an Effin ballhawg, lol. I really like Knight, he is a gamer and a smart player. Jones is the chairman and the President of the ''ME'' generation without a doubt. Miller should shoot more, he and Liggins are the glue on this team.
    Actually, mhall, it was "YOU SELFISH ************" LMAO I enjoyed it too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSplitshot View Post
    Actually, mhall, it was "YOU SELFISH ************" LMAO I enjoyed it too.
    LOL, Ya know as much as I bust Calapari's chops and while I certainly don't condone this with 18 to 20 year olds sometimes you just gotta tell it like it is. Jones has an attitude you can flat see it and this may be exactly what he needs......

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree big time....there are other ways to get a young kid...19 years old;...to play better ball...than to call him a "selfish M-F";...that is what coach Cal said.
    I've been around sports all my life...been on a state champion teams both in Football and baseball...and played collage baseball...Never ever have I heard a coach call a player, to his face a "MF". I've heard coaches cus..and rant and rave...say the "F" word..and other words just as bad...but never directed the "MF"...twords an individual...and especially on national TV!!! Im sorry, I can't except that kind of behavior from the UK coach...Im a huge UK fan...alumni now for over 22 years, and I like coach Cal a bunch, maybe the best coach in the NCAA...But that was totaly unexceptable. An eduactor...role model for the University...No excusses folks. I know Jones had an attitude problem..and maybe was playing selfish..."ball hog" whatever...But that is no excuse to call a kid a "MF"! If somebody says that to me, when I was a kid...it would be all I could do not to knock the crap right out of somebody...You know...if I was the NCAA, there would be more to this (for example);...If Jones wanted out of his commetment to the University of KY...and wanted to play somewhere else;...at this point..as the NCAA offical... I would allow the transfer to another University without penilties; that is how stongly I feel about it. I wouldn't want my son, or daughter..playing for a coach that would call him to his face...(and on TV???)...a MF!! Sorry...that is just way over the top for me. You can't find anybody the bleeds blue like myself...spent $28,000.00 in 5 years going to school there...so I better bleed blue!!

Post Thanks / Like

Dang man your rough on a dude that was hot under the collar and frustrated! All that over some words that most folks say at one time or another...granted not on TV but so what? He even apologized!

I don't mean any disrespect as your an Alum but why is it that some UK folks think this is some pristine University? College Sports is a rough, ruthless, dog eat dog business. Universities lie, cheat, overpay and steal to get the advantage over the next school and I venture to say the stuff we don't see or hear of is waaaaay more devious and dirty than what Cal did. He didn't plan it (I don't think?) he just blew his top.

Half these kids that play ball talk like they never should have graduated 6th grade with their you know, I mean, it's like mumble talk. That ticks me off way more than what happened with Cal. Talk about no excuse!! What gives? Yeah I'm rambling but it's part of the problem I have with being so hard on a Coach when the program just excuses academics for winning. Am I wrong? Just seems mighty ironic to judge a guy for a few words when day in and day out the sports programs do alot worse to just keep these kids on the floor. I'm not just talking UK either.

Several coaches at UK have done damage to their programs with their bad judgements of drinking and cheating and it gave UK a black eye for years. I know it's not the same thing as what Cal did but IMO it was worse. UK fans will forgive and forget....

It's a different world man. You played ball 18-22 years ago? Heck that's old school compared to now. Oh well noone can change what was done and I'll bet Cal doesn't do it again.

Post Thanks / Like

UK paid me (scholarship) to go to college because of my ability to do well in the classroom and reflect well on the university's academics.

UK paid these athletes (scholarship) to go to college because of their ability to do well on the court and reflect well on the university's athletics.

Too often, we confuse the two. For some of these guys, "Student Athlete" is said almost tongue in cheek. Rest assured, UK gives a crap about how well Terrance Jones uses the English language about as much as they gave a crap about how well I could use a crossover dribble in traffic. As long as he's making the minimum grades, they're getting what they want from him. That's just the way it is in college sports, whether we like it or not. What DJD said about all of the things we don't know is probably spot on.

I have no problem with Cal blowing his top and calling it like he sees it with Terrance. It's like a military drill sarge that beats a guy down to nothing, so he can build him back up to act the way HE wants him to act. This is a guy who's future has absolutely nothing to do with a college degree....who probably speaks just like that routinely, and will continue to speak that way when he's in the NBA raking in some jack. If you speak to him like a proper Ivy League gentleman, you will make zero impact on him....and as he walks away, the TV camera will capture him shaking his heading mouthing "What was that crazy ************ talking about?"

A slick talking Italian with a potty-mouth....there's a shocker! As long as he's not sending people FedEx packages of cash, getting DUI's, banging the cheerleaders, or making players eat blueberry pop-tarts and run suicides until they puke....I'm cool. But then again, language doesn't really bother me much.

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Oh well noone can change what was done and I'll bet Cal doesn't do it again.
    At least not where he might get seen by a TV camera.

The bleeding heart apology was just Cal trying to be PC after he got caught. He will make an effort to pull some of his language back in public, but I'll bet the cuss-jar at practice and halftime locker room still makes the Hoops for Haiti donation look like chump-change. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Yea...maybe I am being to rough on the man DJD....and I know he must have been very frustated...with what he explains as selfish attitude from Jones...being a selfish ball hog. And I was very glad that he did make a public apology for his actions. And I also like your insight on the comment that 22 years ago...is old school compared to today...with kids. But you know, Im not 100% sold on that concept DJD. I just refuse to let go (and maybe it's just me),...that what was moraly exceptable 22 years ago or even 52 years ago...should be moraly excepted today...And what was not moraly exceptable 22 years ago...or even 62 years ago...shouldn't be moraly excepted in todays world. I know Im not perfect...I have my problems...bad habbits and the such...But I half believe that "is" ...what is wrong with our kids today;...is this thinking that "times have changed"...so we just have to accept how are kids are today...Im just not OK with it....UK should set the bar on this, and come down on coach Cal...with some kind of...what should we call it in today would..."consequences for your actions"....just like it was 72 years ago. I don't know...

Post Thanks / Like

I played college basketball less than 10 years ago and things really haven't changed much.....I've heard more than one coach drop F bombs but have never heard it aimed directly at a player....They might say get your f'n head outta your arse or go after the f'n ball, but never you selfish motha f'er.....As a player I would have taken serious offense to what he said and they probably would have had to drag me off the court and I wouldn't have seen the floor the rest of the year, but that's me....I once had a coach tell me his 80 year old grandmother in her wheelchair could have beaten me back down the court....got his point across and didn't offend me...Most of us, as well as the players, use that kinda language so we can't really knock Cal for using....but he needs to figure out a different way of saying things...He's always been known as a great motivator and I guess now we know his dirty little secret