Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Changes to 2011 elk lottery

The law and the draw. Changes to 2011 elk lottery this weekend on ?Kentucky Afield? TV

FRANKFORT, Ky. ? New strategies in applying for Kentucky?s elk hunt lottery and season regulation updates are explained on ?Kentucky Afield? TV this weekend, Jan. 29 and 30.
    When sportsmen and women apply for the 2011 elk draw, they?ll notice changes to the process. Dr. Karen Waldrop, wildlife director for the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources, sits down with host, Tim Farmer, to give details.
    New options include varying elk tag categories which allow hunters to be drawn once but apply for up to two tag types based on the sex of the animal and hunter preference of firearm or archery/crossbow. How these interplay with the season?s game laws are also clarified. This weekend?s program is a must-watch for anyone looking forward to fall elk hunting.
    Entry deadline for the Kentucky elk lottery is Apr. 30. Visit fw.ky.gov for full information.
    ?Kentucky Afield? is a production of the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources. It is the longest continuously running outdoor television show in the nation. The program airs at 8:30 p.m. Eastern /7:30 p.m. Central Saturdays, and repeats at 4 p.m. Eastern/3 p.m. Central Sundays on KET 1. To see the latest news about ?Kentucky Afield? television and view your favorite show segments from the past, sign up today for the electronic newsletter. Visit fw.ky.gov on the Internet and click the Kentucky Afield Newsletter icon.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Changes to 2011 elk lottery

I have just read the "changes" to next years elk draw and I think it is a shame that the fish and game are doing it this way. You should not have to apply and pay twice just for a shot at a bull or cow. I have always applied for the tags since the first draw but I will not give them another dime of my money. It is all about money and there was nothing wrong with the way the draw was before. You should have the option to choose your method of hunting. I have always loved to bow hunt and if I would have got drawn i had full intention to try to harvest one with a bow and if I didn't it was nice to know that I could have used a gun. Now if you get drawn for a bow tag and are not lucky enough to harvest your animal then you are just S.O.L. I intend to call and voice my oppion as soon as I get home tomorrow even though I know it will be a waste of my time.

Post Thanks / Like

Won't get my 10 bucks again either. I didn't realize the second chance winners for 2010 had to live in the elk zone. I'm afraid that kind of stuff happens when money is the number 1 priority.

Post Thanks / Like

Money is the PRIORITY.......but I think they are trying to raise additional funds to continue the program..........it DOES take money.

BUT I agree with you guys about the tactics.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to disappoint you guys, but they'll get more of my money this year due to the changes. I've always signed up my wife for the lottery, because she wants a rack for her office. If she had been drawn for a cow hunt, the tag would not have been used. This year, I'll sign her up for the bull hunt and me for the cow hunt, since I just want the meat!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eddie_m View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you guys, but they'll get more of my money this year due to the changes. I've always signed up my wife for the lottery, because she wants a rack for her office. If she had been drawn for a cow hunt, the tag would not have been used. This year, I'll sign her up for the bull hunt and me for the cow hunt, since I just want the meat!
    I have NO problem with it..........I think the more money they can raise, the more they will develop hunting.

I bet some monies from the ELK tags are going to the effort to re introduce bears.....

I'd love to see more, and more.......

BTW........Eddie, I hope I get some nice cuts when you get drawn.......It SURE would be great having some elk steaks that first night in Quetico......booya.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

I think that introducing bears and elk in ky is a joke and a waste of money.. heck the insurance companies are already fussing about automobiles wrecking into deer here in ky.. what are they going to say when people start hitting bears and elk... i think a 500+ elk will do a heck of alot more damge than a 150 deer..

Post Thanks / Like

Lets clear some misinformation up. First KDFWR did not reintroduce any bears to the state. There was a very small number that roamed here and what you see now is a normal expansion from the mountainous areas of Virgina, West virginia and Tennessee. The only bear ever introduced was a pregnant sow back in the 90's in Big South Fork Recreation Area as a monitoring project.

Also KDFWR didn't spend the money to bring elk back to the state, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation funded the restoration. All KDFWR did was provide manpower and work out cooperative landowner aggreements with property owners that had a lot of land in the elk relocation area.

BTW I could give a rats azz what the insurance companies think about Kentucky's wildlife. They need to stick to the insuarnace business and let the professional biologists manage the wildlife.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_King2007 View Post
    I think that introducing bears and elk in ky is a joke and a waste of money.. heck the insurance companies are already fussing about automobiles wrecking into deer here in ky.. what are they going to say when people start hitting bears and elk... i think a 500+ elk will do a heck of alot more damge than a 150 deer..
    attitudes like yours do a lot of damage too. only not to cars but to conservation. the joke is that ky has the best elk hunting in north america now and it will only get better unless you are in the mix.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me just say that Geo seems to have this infatuation with large amounts of meat. What's that about? Do I need to be nervous?

As far as elk restoration goes, what else will you do with thousands of acres of reclaimed mine land? It's not stable enough for houses or factories. Basically, you're left with golf courses or hunting and elk are big game grazing animals (not browsing animals that do well in forests).

Post Thanks / Like

Who ever said that reclaimed mine land is not stable enough for houses or factories might should rethink that statement. I live in Perry Co and I can take you and show you 500 houses and several factories that were all built on reclaimed mine land. One of the factories I am currently employed at. Another one my father helped build which is the reason I moved here in the first place. Also if you really want to dig deep the elk that are brought into Ky are a non-native species. Now before anyone jumps my butt over elk being here 100 years ago do the research and you will see what I am talking about. It is funny how we try to get rid of some things (asian carp, snake head, zebra mussel) but allow other things to be turned loose if there is money to be made from it.