Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cherokee in March

I posted this on the TN page but it gets so few hits that I figured I would post it here since alot of KY fisherman go to Cherokee. Hopefully the Fishin.com "Gods" won't move my post. Thanks for the help guys...

Planning a trip to Cherokee sometime in March. looking to get on a striper bite, how far up river should I go? or do I even need to go up stream? The farthest I have been is Melinda Bridge. I wouldn't turn down any LM, SM, Spotted Bass tips either...Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cherokee in March

Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    I posted this on the TN page but it gets so few hits that I figured I would post it here since alot of KY fisherman go to Cherokee. Hopefully the Fishin.com "Gods" won't move my post. Thanks for the help guys...

Planning a trip to Cherokee sometime in March. looking to get on a striper bite, how far up river should I go? or do I even need to go up stream? The farthest I have been is Melinda Bridge. I wouldn't turn down any LM, SM, Spotted Bass tips either...Thanks.
    I like fishing Cherokee, and the striper and hybrid fishing is good. I fish from point 15 back to the dam. and put in at green lee campground. I fish alone most of the time and the lake was so low last year, that it was hard to launch your boat. try fishing the islands between point 6 and point 11 around 2 or 3 in the morning. I have good luck using the black back bomber magnum, and the black back sliver baits. when the lake is calm. watch for shallow rocks, the points on Cherokee extend a long way out in the lake. 200 feet or more from the shore can be 3 feet or less. but thats were the striper and hybrids are. cherokee can get rough quick. it don't take very much wind at all. hope this helps you get your line stretched.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cherokee in March

Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post

Dont know about the stripes, but a rogue/pointer in clear water and a wigglewart/norman in stained water will load the boat with LM/SM. I have never had much luck with Ky's in Cherokee. Be very careful of the river channel and stay in it. Cherokee is very unforgiving when it comes to lower units! This is especially important down the lake.