Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Best depth/fish finder, but...

Under the $500 mark.

I'm looking to upgrade, but saying, yeah, this one or that one that are $1600 - $3000 is just rediculous. LOL How about for a man on a budget. I mean, dang, I only give $4000 for my boat, spending half the cost of the boat on a depth finder is just not in my resources.

So for the man on a budget, not looking for side imaging, what is the best old school technology, fish finder? GPS is a plus, but not a must.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best depth/fish finder, but...

I have an Eagle (Lowrance) Fish Elite 320- it's about 5 years old and B&W but has GPS and it's been great for me. You can find them on ebay from time to time. The new model is the FishElite 480, just more pixels but otherwise pretty much the same. They will go for under $500. If you want to save more $ you could go with the FishEasy models, same depth finder/chart but no GPS. I do love the GPS though, helps alot to mark structure, not to mention the ability to download maps. Mine came with the Lowrance MapCreate software which I do like as well.
    That's my 2 cents!
    Whitski

Post Thanks / Like

Hey i'm in the same boat you are need a cheap one but good one.... i've not checked in to or played with the unit or anything but there is a hummingbird.... around 299 new it has gps as well as fish depth finder!

Post Thanks / Like

The humminbird is a good unit. I have three humminbird units the first one I started out with was the 596 or something like that it's the black and white one for 199.00 then I got the color unit the 789 I think is what it is and it has gps on it I paid 540.00 or 640.00 for it. And my new one is the 1197si and I use all three of them and love them all. I know a lot of people who have lowrance and the units have problems and they complain about the costumer service department. That's what made me get a humminbird from the start and I will not own anything else but a humminbird haven't had a problem out of any of my units and if you have any questions the costumer service is awesome. Their nice no waiting on hold and they like to help no matter how dumb of a question it is. Just my 2 cents hope it helps.

Thanks
    Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Lowrance used to be awesome, then something changed internally, customer service when to the crapper, and everyone has said junk ever since.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the Eagle 480, it appears to be a decent ff/gps. I'm interested, but says it has an external antenna for the GPS, is this something that is included with it or an extra purchase?

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a Lowrance Mark 5di for $300. They are new this year. Its a B/W unit with a down imaging capability. They have a Elite DI unit too that i think comes in under $500 that offers color. I haven't had a chance to use it yet or install it (**** snow) but I have high hopes for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astrobass View Post
    Looking at the Eagle 480, it appears to be a decent ff/gps. I'm interested, but says it has an external antenna for the GPS, is this something that is included with it or an extra purchase?
    I have a couple friends that have this unit on their boat and they have been very pleased with them. I can't remember the price but basspro had a good deal on them right now. The antenna is included with the unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Bass Pro has them for 205. Antenna is included. I just made a purchase, I'll report back when I get out on the water. (This unit is for the front of my boat.)