Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KY Boat Show?

Post Thanks / Like

KY Boat Show?

Looking for reports from those that have actually been this year. I know it hasn't been worth much in the past. But is it better or worse this year?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: KY Boat Show?

I'm not sure why everybody has a negative opinion of the boat show. They've got tons of boats and rv's to look at. If people are wanting an all out fishing expo, then yeah that's probably not the place for you. But the title says boat and rv.

Ky Trophy Fish Guest

Having been an exhibitor in boat shows for over 20 years,we have an insider 's insight on "boat shows" that many on here may not have.In late 80's/90's there were lots of tackle booths/factory rep booths highlighting new products.During this timeframe there were only 4 shows within reasonable driving distance of cental Ky-Louisville,Cincinnati,Indianapolis and Nashville.Shift to early 2000 era-to now timeframe,seemed shows popped up everywhere(deer,turkey,boat ,rv,etc).

With the vast number of shows popping up everywhere,this became a problem for exhibitors.All of us have a certain dollar amount budgeted for show promotions.Each exibitor has to decide where he can get the best bang for his buck.Factor in the internet explosion with info at your fingertips and the economic bust,many shows and exhibitors have disappeared.All these factors have contributed to an overall decline in show quality.

Consumers complain about the high cost of attending a show-parking,tickets to enter,food and drink cost after getting in show-very easy to drop $100 for day at show!These are valid concerns for anyone going to show----BUT as Paul Harvey said---"Here's the rest of the story"--It's expensive for an exhibitor to setup at a show'

Just figured up bill for the recent Cincinnati show--
    10 x10 booth------------------------$850
    Parking------------------------------$100
    Motel--------------------------------$827
    Eats---------------------------------$400
    20 amp electric outlet--------------$110
    Transportation cost-----------------$100

These expenses were for a 8 day show.If you needed internet service in show-$99.95 a day,we could go on and on at the inflated charges the Convention centers charge for services.Same inflated charges at Fairgrounds.Exhibitors have to sell enough product to cover expenses and hopefully make a profit to return next year.

The most complaints I hear about shows are lack of tackle dealers/no manufactor reps with new products.I see small bait makers at most shows every year but few are back next year.They can't move enough product to come back.Manufactors can't attend every show,cost would be unreal.

It irks me to have the shamwows,guttercover,basement sealer/junk booths at shows,but show promoters have to fill any open space.Don't want to be negative but I believe within 10 years shows as we have know will be a thing of the past.What shows that survive will be very specilized-boat show,rv show -no mixed variety that we all like to attend.

Post Thanks / Like

I went last night. The boat selection is right in line with the market. Meaning lots of Runabouts and Pontoons because those are the top sellers. There was a nice selection of Bass Boats from super cheap to astronomical, but few numbers. I saw from memory:

Stratos - 176xt, 285xl, 295xle
    Phoenix 721 Pro
    Skeeter - ZX225, FX21, SL190
    Ranger - Z120 and some others i didnt get close to

They actually had a Sterling there and it was awesome... amazing boat

If you are in the market for an open bow.. the new chapparals are so nice its insane..

Just for the record, Pontoons are as nice or nicer than ski boats nowadays.

RV selection was good, but again reflects markets as the super lite models outnumbered teh big heavy stuff. My favorite part of the whole show is going into thje top of the line 5th wheels with full kitchens and fireplaces inside.

Were a lot of guide services there from all over the country and canada. A couple of kayak booths were really nice. There was a rod manufacturer there with some high end rods and some very nice salesmen.
    http://www.razrrods.com/
    I liked the crainkbait 101 seminar, but was dissapointed that the smallmouth seminar was about live bait fishing. The KDFWR setup was just like usual, but they have made changes to the Elk Draw this year, so look for that if you buy your license at the show like i do.

And best of all the Funnel Cakes were top notch.

All in all i spent $20 plus $40 to get my license and came away satisfied i got my money's worth... but like was mentined above i didnt go in expecting a fishing expo, but a boat/rv show

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Trophy Fish View Post
    Having been an exhibitor in boat shows for over 20 years,we have an insider 's insight on "boat shows" that many on here may not have.In late 80's/90's there were lots of tackle booths/factory rep booths highlighting new products.During this timeframe there were only 4 shows within reasonable driving distance of cental Ky-Louisville,Cincinnati,Indianapolis and Nashville.Shift to early 2000 era-to now timeframe,seemed shows popped up everywhere(deer,turkey,boat ,rv,etc).

With the vast number of shows popping up everywhere,this became a problem for exhibitors.All of us have a certain dollar amount budgeted for show promotions.Each exibitor has to decide where he can get the best bang for his buck.Factor in the internet explosion with info at your fingertips and the economic bust,many shows and exhibitors have disappeared.All these factors have contributed to an overall decline in show quality.

Consumers complain about the high cost of attending a show-parking,tickets to enter,food and drink cost after getting in show-very easy to drop $100 for day at show!These are valid concerns for anyone going to show----BUT as Paul Harvey said---"Here's the rest of the story"--It's expensive for an exhibitor to setup at a show'

Just figured up bill for the recent Cincinnati show--
    10 x10 booth------------------------$850
    Parking------------------------------$100
    Motel--------------------------------$827
    Eats---------------------------------$400
    20 amp electric outlet--------------$110
    Transportation cost-----------------$100

These expenses were for a 8 day show.If you needed internet service in show-$99.95 a day,we could go on and on at the inflated charges the Convention centers charge for services.Same inflated charges at Fairgrounds.Exhibitors have to sell enough product to cover expenses and hopefully make a profit to return next year.

The most complaints I hear about shows are lack of tackle dealers/no manufactor reps with new products.I see small bait makers at most shows every year but few are back next year.They can't move enough product to come back.Manufactors can't attend every show,cost would be unreal.

It irks me to have the shamwows,guttercover,basement sealer/junk booths at shows,but show promoters have to fill any open space.Don't want to be negative but I believe within 10 years shows as we have know will be a thing of the past.What shows that survive will be very specilized-boat show,rv show -no mixed variety that we all like to attend.
    I always thought that they charged way to much for vendors, they are charging people at the door to see stuff that they are charging people to display not to mention parking what a joke.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100000000 % thats why i dont go to swap meets to .

Post Thanks / Like

I've lived in Northern Ky all my life,use to go to the Cincinnati Boat Show every year.. There where lots of mom and pop shop venders everywhere..
    Rods , Reels , Plastics by the buckets , hand made lures, Where did it all go? It's been every bit of 10 years ago.. I had free tickets I gave away this year , I have'nt went in a long time, just not worth the time.. Friends and I would go and make an evening out of it. We'd go out and eat ,have a beer or two. Buy that lure no one else had (hand made of course). They would even give you a grab bag at the door (had fishing line ,a little dip maybe) Guess it's all about the money nowadays.

Post Thanks / Like

It irks me to have the shamwows,guttercover,basement sealer/junk booths at shows,but show promoters have to fill any open space

tell me bout it got stoped a few times to nite with the gutter guys 3 times at the same both so i made him feel good and filled out his card so they can come to my house all i can say is good luck finding me and calling me lol kinda mean mabey but if i was in the gutter market then i would call them ........ to the rest of the show its a boat and rv show and thats about it got to meet joe thomas, and got some info on some lakes... they have the king of buck trailer there and that was neet ...... but it aint like it was 15 years ago when you came home with a bunch of free stuff worms, hook ect.

Ky Trophy Fish Guest

"tell me bout it got stoped a few times to nite with the gutter guys 3 times at the same both so i made him feel good and filled out his card so they can come to my house all i can say is good luck finding me and calling me lol kinda mean mabey "

If you think it's bad to be hounded by the junk/garbage booth hucksters as an boat show attendee,be an exhibitor and get placed beside them for a whole show..People will walk to other side of street to dodge them.Show promoters usually put non boat show related booths together,but -------.

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone that went to the show see a booth for "Antique Fishing Lures" the website says he was in booth 301. I looked for it but never found it.

Post Thanks / Like

The antique lures were across the isle on the corner across from the guys with all the high dollar fishing rods. they were laying flat on a table they were hard to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
    I went last night. The boat selection is right in line with the market. Meaning lots of Runabouts and Pontoons because those are the top sellers. There was a nice selection of Bass Boats from super cheap to astronomical, but few numbers. I saw from memory:

Stratos - 176xt, 285xl, 295xle
    Phoenix 721 Pro
    Skeeter - ZX225, FX21, SL190
    Ranger - Z120 and some others i didnt get close to

They actually had a Sterling there and it was awesome... amazing boat

If you are in the market for an open bow.. the new chapparals are so nice its insane..

Just for the record, Pontoons are as nice or nicer than ski boats nowadays.

RV selection was good, but again reflects markets as the super lite models outnumbered teh big heavy stuff. My favorite part of the whole show is going into thje top of the line 5th wheels with full kitchens and fireplaces inside.

Were a lot of guide services there from all over the country and canada. A couple of kayak booths were really nice. There was a rod manufacturer there with some high end rods and some very nice salesmen.
    http://www.razrrods.com/
    I liked the crainkbait 101 seminar, but was dissapointed that the smallmouth seminar was about live bait fishing. The KDFWR setup was just like usual, but they have made changes to the Elk Draw this year, so look for that if you buy your license at the show like i do.

And best of all the Funnel Cakes were top notch.

All in all i spent $20 plus $40 to get my license and came away satisfied i got my money's worth... but like was mentined above i didnt go in expecting a fishing expo, but a boat/rv show

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I should have said that I was interested in the runabout/pontoon selections most of all. The last time I went it seemed it was all huge boats and RVs.