Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolf Creek Dam-Cumberland River Report

Hi,
    I fished below Wolf Creek Dam Saturday,1-29-11, and got skunked.
    Many boats & many fishing from the bank-I did not see a single fish caught.
    I tried jigheads tipped w minnows from the wall, then below the steps at the first eddy w nightcrawlers. Fished from 2PM till dark. I was trying to catch my first walleye, would have gladly settled for some trout. I talked to one fellow who said the trout were not biting because they were stuffed w alewives. I did see plenty of gulls feeding on something. Still, it was a nice day, nice weather. & overall, I have had a lot more good days than bad at Wolf Creek Dam.
    Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolf Creek Dam-Cumberland River Report

I was there too, and 6 of us didn't catch a fish all day. We were fishing from the bank. We got up yesterday and caught some nice trout from the hatchery creek, with a buddy of mine catching some big browns from there too.

Post Thanks / Like

I was there in a boat too. I was using the alwives and threads coming out of the dam and bumping them on bottom. I only had one bite all morning and then left at noon. There were at least a dozen other boats there and I never saw a single fish come over the side of the boat. Went to the lake to try and salvage the day and it was a ghost town in the head of Indian too. Never saw the first bait flip or swirl. I bottom fished the dead bait I had and never got a bite on the lake either. Oh well, it was a nice day.

Post Thanks / Like

I was there also, put the boat right after day light. Seen all the birds and thought to myself, this is going to be a good day with lot fish caught. I ran up to the dam and floated back down with a grub and a minnow. In no time a caught a huge Rainbow, One of the biggest I have ever caught. It looked to be about 7 lb, It was a monster of a fish. I am thinking, yep it is going to be a great day on the river. My next fish came about and hour before dark, a 10 inch Crappie. I seen very few fish caught. One boat had 2 bluegill and 2 crappie. One had 2 small rainbows. I did hear that someone bank fishing caught one Sauger. But you know what, it was still a good day on the river.

I think that the fish where stuffed with Shad. That is the only thing I could figure out. To me everything else was perfect.

Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Moon phase is wrong. Wait until the full moon then it will be better. The reason they run is to spawn ,and the most spawning happens during the full moon.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey 410 I was in the grey/blue Lowe with the white Johnson taking turns with you (I think) floating the hydros. Most of the other guys seemed to prefer the ease of slack water by the gates. That's one hell of a bow - I lost a really good fish early in the day but never got a look at it.

Jbyrd may be on to something. Hope I get another crack at em sometime this winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, thinking about Jybrd said I am like you, I think he might of hit the nail on the head.

Good to see someone on here. I was in the Dirty White Lowe with the 70Hp, The ugly guy with the Red (that turned to pink) Bass Pro Hat.

Billy

Post Thanks / Like

410th i see quite a few post from you here any advise for walleyes in the river new to the area use to fishing for them up north could really use some help.

Post Thanks / Like

I was I could point you in the right direction, but I not catching any either, I think if I go back in the next few days, I am going to try trolling med, deep running stick baits, Clown Color, I think. I wish I could help you out. I fished this past Sunday and caught a few small stripper and a crappie. Not many fish being caught right now. I think there is to many shad in the river right now. The fish I did catch was on a silver buddy.

Billy

Post Thanks / Like

thank you-and 2 more questions can i get my 18 foot deep v in below the dam and where should i put in at ?

Post Thanks / Like

The way the water is now yea you can, and you can put in right at the Dam, Kendal Camp Ground. Just remember you have to have a Trout Stamp to fish the river for any thing. I dont think you would have a problem if 2 or more is running, But now there is a big hump in the river just befour you get to the dam, so go slow until you learn where it is at.

Billy

Post Thanks / Like

thank you very much for the info.