Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anybody Powder Paint?

Okay I got some powder paint for my jigs in today, i'm messin around paintin a few just to see how it turns out. I'm using a lighter to heat the jig for about 10-15 sec. and then rolling the shaky head in the plastic jar of powder paint and then banging off excess. However, once the paint dries it's not nice and round and smooth. Its nice n glossy and looks great but its kinda gloppy and thicker in certain spots...any ideas on what I'm doin wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anybody Powder Paint?

if youre actually using powdercoat, you need a gun to spray it and an oven to bake it in for 20-30 minutes

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like its either not getting equal temp or the right temp. Once you dip it into the paint and knock it off. Try hitting it with the lighter again.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if it's true powderCOAT but it's PowderPAINT. It's just in a plastic tub and its powder, I think I'm just supposed to dip a hot jig in it and then knock off excess. It may be better to use jigs that are freshly poured and hot out of the mold so it's evenly heated.....?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    I'm not sure if it's true powderCOAT but it's PowderPAINT. It's just in a plastic tub and its powder, I think I'm just supposed to dip a hot jig in it and then knock off excess. It may be better to use jigs that are freshly poured and hot out of the mold so it's evenly heated.....?
    HEat the jig head take a spoon and dust the head with the powder paint and then bake in the oven hanging from the rack with small wire (Christmas tree ornament hooks work good) at 350 for 20 min. they should look good when they cool

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    Okay I got some powder paint for my jigs in today, i'm messin around paintin a few just to see how it turns out. I'm using a lighter to heat the jig for about 10-15 sec. and then rolling the shaky head in the plastic jar of powder paint and then banging off excess. However, once the paint dries it's not nice and round and smooth. Its nice n glossy and looks great but its kinda gloppy and thicker in certain spots...any ideas on what I'm doin wrong?
    You will do much better if you use a heat gun and a powder paint fuild bed. Sounds like you are over heating and keeping it in the paint too long. Heat the jig and dip, swish remove and knock off the excess paint.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85D5i...eature=related

I do small jigs 1/16 so I don't heat mine up as much. Heat- dip- tapp- and then I dip mine in cold water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rrealjr View Post
    HEat the jig head take a spoon and dust the head with the powder paint and then bake in the oven hanging from the rack with small wire (Christmas tree ornament hooks work good) at 350 for 20 min. they should look good when they cool
    yeah, this sounds like powdercoat to me...actually a gun would bring better results, but really not worth the expense for this unless you do ALOT of them. but what this guy said sounds like it should give reasonable results. the baking is probably the most important step

Post Thanks / Like

I googled the Fluid bed looks money!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a lighter to do mine and what I do is make sure the powder is lose and not packed in the container. Then after I tap off the excess paint I take a lighter to it again works good for me I think the main thing is lose powder in the container. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you are getting too much heat and too much powder on your jig.

I use a plumber's torch. It is very fast. It only takes about 4 seconds of heat with it turned all the way down for a 1/4oz jig. The larger the jig takes a little more time. Play with it and you will see.

It is real easy to build a fluid bed. The cost is only about $30.00. The fluid bed is the way to go. You get pretty even results every time. If you get a little too much in the hook eye you need to clean it off with a paper clip or wire. Because once it is baked it is real hard to get something through the eye so you can use the jig.

I also just glue in the weedguard after I am done painting them.

Post Thanks / Like

Try TJ's tackle for fluid beds and powder paint, Very reasonable. They have a lot of video's to help. I use a heat gun and fluid bed. It allows for a thin even coat. If your head is smoking after you dip it it is getting too hot. You will have to experiment on head sizes and how much heat you apply. This also depends on what type of heat source you are using. You will find what works best for you.