Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wheeler lake info

Heading to Wheeler in late march. Never been. Looking for advice on maps...Is a HOTSPOTS map the way to go or are there better alternatives??
    Any advice on what to expect fishing-wise would be great too. My dad and I are hoping to get some bass bites and crappie too.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheeler lake info

Hard to beat Atlantic Maps. Check them out at www.atlanticmapping.com Click on the GPS Lake Charts tab and you will see Wheeler Lake.

Post Thanks / Like

The Decatuer flats hold lots of bass , it would be good to have a gps to help you find your way back to the spots you want to be , the flats run for about 11 miles. Something like 75% of the tournaments fished down there are won on the flats , rattle traps should pay that time of year down there. I hope this helps . Jarrod

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twise7 View Post
    Hard to beat Atlantic Maps. Check them out at www.atlanticmapping.com Click on the GPS Lake Charts tab and you will see Wheeler Lake.
    Those are great for finding roadbeds, structure, and what not, but if you have a chartplotter or combo fishfinder, I suggest using Navionics in conjuntion with the Atlantic paper charts. The Navionics HotMaps-South have Wheeler in HD I believe (1' contours), and will allow you to find those flats mentioned by Swift1 a little easier. JMO though...
    Last edited by Bass Addict 170; 02-02-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: fix error

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. I just ordered a map from atlantic. We will be fishing for 3 days...Do you guys suggest trying the flats or is finding a productive spot on the flats like "finding a needle in the haystack?" Mainly just looking for bites and active fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Wheeler Lake is loaded with fish. You won't have any trouble catching fish. Fish what you like best. The're are all kinds of patterns. Flats are fun to fish. Edge of channel is good. Points off channel are good. Elk river is great in the spring with lots of docks.
    Most tournaments are no longer won on the flats as all the grass has been eraticated. There are some deep brush piles along the channel on the lower end that now hold bigger fish.
    You will have a great time.There's a nice tackle store at Athens when you get off 65. West End. Have a great time...Rex

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mess View Post
    Heading to Wheeler in late march. Never been. Looking for advice on maps...Is a HOTSPOTS map the way to go or are there better alternatives??
    Any advice on what to expect fishing-wise would be great too. My dad and I are hoping to get some bass bites and crappie too.
    I live on wheeler so anything i can help with, let me know. where will you be fishing out of?