Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Which end of Nolin is best?

Since I started fishing Nolin this past spring, I have never fished much higher than Moutardier. I generally spend my time in Briar, where I have been very successfull. I have always wondered how Nolin fishes up by Wax and above, but it is quite the drive by both car and boat for me, so I have never attempted it. My question is, which end of Nolin do you all prefer? Is the area around Wax better in comparison to the area around Moutardier and Briar? Thinking of giving the Wax area a try this spring so looking for some info. Thanks.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which end of Nolin is best?

WE Crappie fish wax all winter,some bass boats can make is above wax but it is dangerous! At full pull I use the trolling motor to get past the trees that are at the end of the houseboats, some are setting on logs!!!! You will have to run in some 2 ft. water!!
    Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

In March the area around wax has been the best for me. The section from the bridge below wax ramp down river about a mile has always been good to me. This is usually the warmest water in early March and you can catch em on a shallow crankbait. The water is very shallow above wax and I won't risk idling above the ramp. I usually fish the steeper banks and catch decent numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Which end of Nolin is best?

Rock Creek & Dog Creek are good but i have had my best luck on the main lake.Up past Wax is good too.Heck i just love Nolin its a great lake with a ton of fish.Love the jumps mite have too try it some day in a kayak.
    Terry Adolph
    bassinky

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys...I'm really going to have to try it up there around Wax this spring. Thanks for the cautions about low water above Wax, definitely don't want to start out the 2011 season be losing my lower unit, haha! Take care!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

IMO the best parts of Nolin are from Ponderosa up to Wax. Not saying there aren't any good places to fish down lake but there's a lot MORE up lake. There's 30 or so really good spots in there where, for me at least, there aren't 20 good spots over the rest of the lake. If you like offshore especially. TONS of offshore through that area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Thanks guys...I'm really going to have to try it up there around Wax this spring. Thanks for the cautions about low water above Wax, definitely don't want to start out the 2011 season be losing my lower unit, haha! Take care!

-Rich
    Not that diffucult to motor through just keep look out for the channel. Doesn't stay shallow for to long then you can head up river cautiously. During summer pool stay toward cliffs on left and you'll not have a problem. Shallow doring winter pool, but I run it often nows time to be looking for those bigger walleyes up river . With the past rain it's driven the river to mud and up around 5' in my backyard. Messin with my bank fishin.

Post Thanks / Like

I've lived less than 5 min. From nolin my whole life, and i had'nt really fished the upper end 'til about 5-6 years ago. Whole different world..
    Your best bet, would be to take a day, launch your boat at wax, go down toward moutidier, look at all drops, brushpiles, and points. I did this 2 years ago in feb. And may do it again, if i can catch a day around 40-45 degrees. One look, (and a g.p.s.) is worth a 1000 words... Tr

Post Thanks / Like

My camp is way up river beyond Wax, by a small boat ramp, Pine Springs. It is very deep and along the old river banks (before the lake was dam) their huge tree stumps running along that entire old bank line, great crappie and cat fishing during summer pool. Also good area to troll for walleyes.

During winter pool Ive done very good crapping fishing the other direction from Wax which is toward the bridge and beyond- minnows- rock walls.

If you have time now is the best to drive around to different areas and mark structures while lake is down to winter pool. That way when spring hits you'll know what is under that water and where you want to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone who responded, I really appreciate it. Sounds like the upper part of the lake is like a different lake then the lower half. I'm excited to get up there and find some new spots.....now, If I could just get mother nature to cooperate...
    -Rich