Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Spring fishing trip - need help

Hey all, I am looking at planning a spring fishing trip SOMEWHERE...lol. Last year, I went down to Monroe and was thinking about it again - in late April. But, I am also thinking about trying some place new.

Looking to catch Bass, Crappie, Blue gills. Also, I dont own a boat, so I gotta be able to rent one.

I have priced 3 different trips, each for 3 days of fishing - Patoka, Monroe, & Salamonie. I am really looking to see if there are any other places I should check into.

What are your fav lakes to fish in the spring & why? - and can I rent a boat there...lol

Thanks for any advice & ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spring fishing trip - need help

I'd go to Kentucky or Barkley wayyy before the others you mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Needs to be in Indiana. Costs too much for me to go that far...Im from East-central Indiana.

Post Thanks / Like

Might think about Ferdinand State Forest. Nice campground, nice lake and rental boats and canoes. Trolling motor only. Lincoln SP in another.

Post Thanks / Like

Deam is nice too. Not sure when the boat rental opens. Very nice lake and Trolling Motor only.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the input guys....i will check them out and see what I think. If anyone else has anything else to say, say it Ill b happy to check out those places too.

New Washington, Indiana, The good ole U.S.A..
    Post Thanks / Like

Hardy lake in Scottsburg is nice & they have boat rentals. Not a very big place but can catch some fish there. You can run a big motor there. The boats you rent DO NOT have motors on them, but you can bring your own & put it on there. They are row boats. Deep V John Boats. It can get very busy though because you get your big cruisers out there driving in circles. There is nice gills in there, crappie, musky, bass, catfish. There is one whole end of the lake that is idle only, that is where the campground is & the best fishing.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Go to Dogwood, it's about 10 miles south of Washington Indiana. From Muncie, it's probably a good 2.5 hr. ride but it would be worth the trip...especially for bluegill/redears/crappie. I can't answer the bass question but I have caught two pound bass while bluegill fishing at Dogwood.

Hardy would be another great option, it's about five miles east of Scottsburg Indiana. Dogwood and Hardy both have boat rentals and nice campgrounds/facilities. Dogwood is about 1400 acres and Hardy 750 acres, so plenty of water for a three day trip. The smaller lakes mentioned here are probably not enough water for a three day hard core fishing trip.

One more option is Hoosier National Forest, it consists of four lakes that are between 50-200 or so acres. Indian, Celina, Tipsaw and Saddle are good lakes for gills/ears/crappie and reportedly have big bass tucked away in them too. The DNR creeled a state record bass in one of the lakes but declined to say which lake it lives in. The campground facilities are top notch, best I've been to in Indiana. Tipsaw was on fire back in the fall from what I understand.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they rent boats at Dogwood anymore............Maybe they do, but the old guy that used to rent boats and motors is no longer there.

I'd call there first........but if they do, this DEFINITELY where I'd go.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure they still rent the boats, although you're correct, that weird old man is no longer working the rentals. I remember going down there in my early twenties, not having a boat and renting from him. He was an odd bird, certainly wouldn't tell you anything related to where the bite was.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys, I will check them out. & I dont own a motor either for a boat either But yeah, I will check them all out and see what I think.