Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Walleye Help

New to the area,trying to find out info on walleye fishing talking to people I have been told allot of different things and some just don't add up I am looking to fish Walleyes I have been told Nolin,Green River Lake,Cumberland,and the Cumberland River all of these places are within a hour and a half of me which is fine just kinda needing some advise I am interested in fishing all these places I am fishing a deep V boat so water is important need some advice on where to put in at and how people are catching them please anglers share some valuble information I am use to fishing for these fish by trolling a harness and a bottom bouncer or minnow rap,husky jerk,jigging for them please help a new guy to the area out.

Thank You

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Walleye Help

Ever yr i have caught them while bass fishing in Nolin.I'm going too try too catch them in the spring up river from a kayak if i have time.Get a hop spots map it tells alot about Nolin.Sorry i'm not much help.
    Terry Adolph
    bassinky

PS welcome too the area

Post Thanks / Like

Deep V bottom be awful tricky to get up upper nolin river.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya probably going to need to concetrate on Green River Lake and Cumberland and Cumberland River more than anything

Post Thanks / Like

thank you

Post Thanks / Like

The Ugly Truth is that those who catch walleye in our area do so because they keep their mouths shut about where and how they catch walleye. I have never fished Nolin so i can't help you there though reports over the years have been good concerning them.
    There are a few in Green River Lake and I do mean a few, so few that i will not fish there for them. The recent shock on Lake Cumberland showed lower numbers than expected.
    You can catch a few there but nothing to get excited about. Laurel River Lake's numbers are down but you may catch a trophy though not numbers. Cumberland River at times will produce walleye but you have to know when, where and how to catch them and you are at the mercy of the generation schedule as to where and how. Dale Hollow also has walleye but as with Cumberland and Laurel, the numbers are a little off right now. We need additional stockings in these lakes badly. I have always mainly targeted Walleye, however, their numbers have dropped so much the last couple of years that I now fish as much or more for crappie. I do wish you luck in your Quest for Walleye in our area. Time on the water is about the only way to really gain the knowledge you seek. Bottom Bouncing works on all lakes in our area and from mid april thru may casting surface crank baits at night on Cumberland and Dale and Laurel will produce walleye, just don't expect numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught a 32" walleye, a 31" and a 29", from nolin, but, they were all accidents, 2 of 'em i was fishing a bass tourn. The 32, hit a 4"slider motor oil worm, the 31 hit a small blue fox spinner bait, and the 29 hit a dd-22 crankbait. The only time i really went fishing for them, i took my wife trolling, she caught a 6lb large mouth. So go figure. I've heard
    from several people, if you'll fish rocky or gravel banks, and use a 1/8 or 1/4 jig head, with a live night crawler on it, you will catch some. With the deep "vee", i'd put in at moutidier, and go up, to pondersosa, there is alot of rock banks around there.

Post Thanks / Like

You can also fish up in Nolin river and have some luck as the walleyes travel up to the first dam, go up to broadford, you will see where to park and see the trails down to the river. Throw crawlers and husky jerks in Clown also below Wolf Creek dam at cumberland.

Post Thanks / Like

how big of a boat can you get below the wolf creek dam and where should i put in at i have a 18 ft deep v

Post Thanks / Like

as long as there is at least 1 generator on you will have no problem putting in at the kendall ramp at the dam but if there is no generators on you need a very small flat bottom or one with a jet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter38 View Post
    New to the area,trying to find out info on walleye fishing talking to people I have been told allot of different things and some just don't add up I am looking to fish Walleyes I have been told Nolin,Green River Lake,Cumberland,and the Cumberland River all of these places are within a hour and a half of me which is fine just kinda needing some advise I am interested in fishing all these places I am fishing a deep V boat so water is important need some advice on where to put in at and how people are catching them please anglers share some valuble information I am use to fishing for these fish by trolling a harness and a bottom bouncer or minnow rap,husky jerk,jigging for them please help a new guy to the area out.

Thank You
    Better off fishing any lock and dam on the Ohio River if you can get there. Plenty off water for deep V's, and lots of walleye, and sauger to catch.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know much about walleye fishing but catch a few out of the Ohio river throwing small jigs with twister tails for sauger.My attempts at targeting walleye in the lakes have so far been a failure.Several years ago while crappy fishing Dale at night with minnows found a bunch in about 35' of water,loaded up on them two nights in a row.Plan on making some trips this spring to Laurel
    to try to catch a few.
    Jake