Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Walleye Help

Good luck in your pursuit of Kentucky's most elusive fish. I am still trying for my first walleye, have caught plenty of Sauger from the Ohio river system but as for walleyes well lets just say I would be less surprised if I pulled a Sturgeon from our waters first. All the advice these guys gave is dead on, however if you are truly a walleye fisherman then you need to make a trip to Brookville lake in Indiana, it may be a drive but for a hardcore walleye fisherman it may be worth the effort, just pick me up on your way past Northern Ky!!

Post Thanks / Like

Males will start moving up in the middle of Feb and females around the first of March. On Nolin go to broadford and wheeler mill and bank fish with a variety of walleye baits and night crawlers. I like big grub tails. On Green River go to the spillway between Columbia and Campbellsville. On Green locally go to lock 5 on the Warren County Line. Once Spring is over you catch walleye with traditional methods in the main lake at Nolin around Wax. Just follow all the Amish! Mid summer you can catch them at night under lights with night crawlers back up in the river around Brigg Wyebb in the Cub Run area.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, here's my take on Kentucky Walleye. I hit the Green River spillway this time of year. You can fish from the wall & with the right outflow, the box gets around 10 - 12 ft deep & can be fished with a 1/8 oz twister tail jig with a live minnow. The key is patience, I fished it 3 weeks ago & fished for 6 hrs before for my 1st bite. However, the bite turned on for about 2 hours & pulled 2 keeper eyes & missed a bunch. It's tough to set the hook, 20 ft above the water, at least that what I tell myself.
    I've fished Green River lake & Carr Creek lake in the spring. I hate to say it, but it's been a process of elimination for Green. I've hit just about every "walleye" spot in the Robinson Creek arm, with zero results. Gonna hit the Green River Arm this year. Went to Carr Creek last year in late March. Caught a few small ones, but the bite was off. Marked a ton of fish, just couldn't get a sniff on any size. Gonna give it another shot this spring. It's a fairly small lake, so covering water is easy.
    If you need to satisfy your walleye hunger, do what I do. Go to Canada or Lake Erie every year.

Post Thanks / Like

Bowhunter, I have a Deep V (70HP) as well and my rule of thumb is to go to the website below and check the "Average Hourly Discharge" rate. I don't go if it is less than 2,050 cfs. At 2,050 cfs I can manuver pretty well but still keep a good eye out for shallow structure. Anything below that I don't put in, and more is better to a certain point. Good luck.

http://www.lakeinfo.tva.gov/htbin/la...H&DataType=All

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by polcat83 View Post
    Ok, here's my take on Kentucky Walleye. I hit the Green River spillway this time of year. You can fish from the wall & with the right outflow, the box gets around 10 - 12 ft deep & can be fished with a 1/8 oz twister tail jig with a live minnow. The key is patience, I fished it 3 weeks ago & fished for 6 hrs before for my 1st bite. However, the bite turned on for about 2 hours & pulled 2 keeper eyes & missed a bunch. It's tough to set the hook, 20 ft above the water, at least that what I tell myself.
    I've fished Green River lake & Carr Creek lake in the spring. I hate to say it, but it's been a process of elimination for Green. I've hit just about every "walleye" spot in the Robinson Creek arm, with zero results. Gonna hit the Green River Arm this year. Went to Carr Creek last year in late March. Caught a few small ones, but the bite was off. Marked a ton of fish, just couldn't get a sniff on any size. Gonna give it another shot this spring. It's a fairly small lake, so covering water is easy.
    If you need to satisfy your walleye hunger, do what I do. Go to Canada or Lake Erie every year.
    Don't know what line you are using but for sauger and walleye fishing with small jigs I switched from 8 lb. to 10 lb. mono a couple years ago ,can feel more hits and and get a lot more hook ups.Am now using 30 lb. braid with a 24 -36 inch leader,8- 10 lb..Am a little hard headed,took my fishing buddy a couple of years to convince me to switch even tho he was sometimes landing 5 to my one.He still out fishes me but I am doing much better.
    Jake

Post Thanks / Like

My experince with the walleyes Is to head out early mid Feb. through late march when they start heading up stream to spawn. Litest jig I can throw depending on waters current. Catch them in the current, on the bottom, suspended , shallow, eddy pools and numerous other types of water. Have caught them at lakes edge and the rivers in summer months. Plain jigs and jigs tipped with a minnow or nite crawler. Crankbaits deep or shallow runners have all been successful for me. I think my best luck for walleyes is to forget about catching them all together and just fish the waters. Thats when most walleyes hit for me. Currently I'm targeting white bass and croppie on the upper nolin river. Not even thinking about the walleye which will just show up sooner or later. Just never know? Hope this makes sense.