Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kayak Minimum Requirments

I read on the Bowling Green canoe & kayak group site that the law was giving tickets for not having a PFD.Better safe the sorry.I have 3 or 4 extra from my boat if someone needs one.I sold the boat and only have 2kayaks so i only need 2 till i get another kayak.Give me a call,
    Terry Adolph
    bassinky
    270-792-5093

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I have missed out on this conversation. But intersting reading. As a federal officer enforcing state laws with fish and wildlife on waters, etc.... I have never had to enforce a PFD in a kayak or canoe...unless the law has changed in the last 10 years. (I haven't enforced since.) Most outfitters or rentals will require you to have one for their insurance. I have paddled for years without wearing one on my race boat, but always have one with me. I always wear one in the winter and paddling by myself these days. Since the industry of kayaking is HUGE, laws are changing, even some states are requiring to register the kayaks.

There will be kayak instructors and professionals while doing the clinics, lessons, and demos at the kayak festival June 4th. There will be fish and wildlife officers there and Somerset Police to help with questions/answers. It is mandatory to wear a PFD while in any tournament leading to immediate disqualification.

I've been kayaking for over 25 years and have seen a lot change. I have also rescued paddlers and seen several die from now wearing a PFD. My son's good friend who drowned from a kayak last summer would be alive if he had one on.
    ~~ Create Positive Ripples ~~~~
    www.kayakfishingtournamentlakecumberland.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just a little more information: I was a Rescue 3 International Swiftwater Technician and EMT. Safety has become huge to me. My sit on top fishing kayak has a marine first aid kit, 2 flashlights, lighters, knives, whistle and my cell phone. I always tell someone where I'm going and when I'm suppose to return. Since fishing kayaking has become huge, there are so many sites with new safety gear designed just for kayaks. A lot of the prizes and raffle items in my tournament are those provided from sponsors. Check out Yak-Attack VISI pole, one of the sponsors.
    Safe paddling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
    Go back and read closely. It says Class A vessels (kayak) have to have a type I,II,or III. Having a type IV on board does not satisfy the law. The law I believe you are misreading is the one that requires every boat class 1,2,and 3 to have at least one Class IV on board in addition to the requirement of a Class I,II,orIII PFD for each occupant. This law states that Canoes and Kayaks are specifically exempt from the need for a Class IV PFD.

Section 4. Personal Flotation Devices. (1) An operator of a Class 1, 2, or 3 recreational vessel shall have on board a minimum of:
    (a) One (1) Type I, Type II or Type III personal flotation device for each person on board the vessel; and
    (b) Except for canoes or kayaks, one (1) Type IV personal flotation device.
    You are so right thats just saying canoes and kayaks are excempt from the type IV device I think. Life jackets will be on my kayaks regaurdless of water conditions from here on out cheaper than a citation. Just made a quick run on down nolin river and the snow is awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cumberlandkayaker View Post
    Sorry I have missed out on this conversation. But intersting reading. As a federal officer enforcing state laws with fish and wildlife on waters, etc.... I have never had to enforce a PFD in a kayak or canoe...unless the law has changed in the last 10 years. (I haven't enforced since.) Most outfitters or rentals will require you to have one for their insurance. I have paddled for years without wearing one on my race boat, but always have one with me. I always wear one in the winter and paddling by myself these days. Since the industry of kayaking is HUGE, laws are changing, even some states are requiring to register the kayaks.

There will be kayak instructors and professionals while doing the clinics, lessons, and demos at the kayak festival June 4th. There will be fish and wildlife officers there and Somerset Police to help with questions/answers. It is mandatory to wear a PFD while in any tournament leading to immediate disqualification.

I've been kayaking for over 25 years and have seen a lot change. I have also rescued paddlers and seen several die from now wearing a PFD. My son's good friend who drowned from a kayak last summer would be alive if he had one on.
    Acorrding to walkeaviator's link "manuel proppeled raceing vessells are exempt". If I've read that part right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cumberlandkayaker View Post

This post is very confusing....Every vessel will require life jackets on board. One for every passenger. A class IV jacket is what is commonly reffered to as a throwable device. Some type IV jackets are approved as type I and type IV devices (this is why you can carry a throwable cussion in a rowboat or conoe under 16 ft.).

Kayaks are not exempt from any boating laws. There is no law in place that states they have to be worn but they do have to be in the boat.

They are not just required by outfitters insurance rules, they are required to be on board by state law.

The following is copied from the KFWD website

All vessels must be equipped with life jackets, approved by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG), called personal flotation devices or PFDs. The quantity and type depends on the length of your vessel and the number of people on board and/or being towed. Each PFD must be in good condition, the proper size for the intended wearer, and very importantly, must be readily accessible! Readily accessible means you must be able to put the PFD on in a reasonable amount of time in an emergency (vessel sinking, on fire, etc.). PFDs should not be stowed in plastic bags, in locked or closed compartments or have other gear stowed on top of them.

All I can say is take the boating safty course offered by the KDFW.

Don't take my word for this!!!!! Don't let anyone tell you you you do not have to have a life jacket in a kayak!!!!!

Go to KDFW web (http://www.boat-ed.com/ky/course/index.htm) Take the course and find out for yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    Acorrding to walkeaviator's link "manuel proppeled raceing vessells are exempt". If I've read that part right.
    This provision refers to skulling type boats...you know the ones. Stroke...stroke....stroke. I think U of L has a skulling team. A kayak is not a racing boat although I guess you can race anything.

Check your cushion...many are approved as a type I or a type IV device. If your cushion is approved as a type I devise you will only need one cushion for each pasenger.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the copy of the law you provided. I believe if it was law or is law, it really was not enforced. But now kayaks are very common. If the laws were not enacted or enforced, I strongly believe they should. In all my safety courses, I always advise people to WEAR a PFD...or at least take one. When I raced a K1 and K2, these boats are strickly for races and USKA and ACA DOES require to wear one. I have not worn one while training, but I did have it with me. Also, a kayak can be a racing vessel just like a sculling boat. Look at the Olympics and Pan American. Look at the Olympic boats. There are several kinds of kayaks: racing, fishing, touring, whitewater, squirt, recreation, sit on top, sit in....etc.

Bottom line....is wear a PFD weather law requires it or not. We all want people safe.