Search Fishin.com

Thread: line question

Post Thanks / Like

line question

I've pretty much always fished monofilament with a couple of forays into flourocarbon. My question is, what type of line would be best for fishing crankbaits at Guntersville (shallow grass)? Braid? Flouro? What brands do you like and what strength?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: line question

I still use 17 lbs Mono at Guntersville for rattle baits. For summertime crankbaits it matters on the rod, I would use mono if you don't have a good "crankbait" rod. Back to shallow stuff a flouro would have less stretch for ripping baits through grass, same with braid. I just use a heavy Mono and it gets the job done. When you headed down?

Post Thanks / Like

We'll be down there the first week of April along with the rest of Kentucky. LOL
    We usually go down 3 or 4 times a year. I've just read that the braid will rip through that grass easier than mono. I spooled a reel with some flourescent flourocarbon last summer, and after I broke off about 4 or 5 fish on the hookset, I tore it all off and haven't tried it since.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 15 lb Vicious fluorocarbon. I went to big G last March and caught a ton of fish on a Redeye shad without one single breakoff. That stuff is tough as nails. Instead of ripping it out of the grass, try just to shake it free. They can't stand it.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with bassman. I use 17lb fluro when I go to G-ville for Rattle baits in the grass. I'll be at G-ville in 30 days. Sure hope the weather warms up a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

x3 on the flouro. If you're breaking off on the hookset, it might be the knot you're using or how well you tied it...there was a very informative thread on here a few weeks ago regarding knots and flouro line, you might want to go back a few pages and check it out.

Good luck and have fun!! I won't be able to get down there till June. Leave some for me!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm planning on heading down the middle of March again. That lake is way too much fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark Menendez's class he says he still uses Mono for lipless and a glass rod he said the newer rods are more sensitive than ever and we pull the lures way to quick as soon as we feel the slightest tap. He gave a pretty compelling argument for mono vs fluro on crankbaits.

Post Thanks / Like

Suffix makes a green crankbait line. It sinks faster, comes off the spool slick as a ribbon, and is tough as nails. I found it about 1.5 years ago and
    turned SMLJAW on to it. He too is a believer now!! Much cheaper than Fluoro and an overall great line..

Post Thanks / Like

I have also gone back and forth from mono to fluoro, then back again with CBs...I finally just stuck with mono...cheaper, and it allows me to respool numerous times during the season without burning a hole in my wallet. The fish haven't seemed to care either...lol.

We'll be down there the first week of April as well...cya down there!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I like using mono down there when the grass is still in the beginning stages but I prefer fluro if I need to do a lot of shaking through the thicker stuff. I'm leaving Sunday to head that direction. I love the late winter fishing down there. It's a great way to kick the new season into gear.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, Jabbo, you beat me to it. He ain't lyin', this time anyway... The Deep Crankin' Sufix line is the real deal. I've tried a lot of brands and this one is top shelf for cranking. Spool it up and you will not be disappointed. I'm pretty sure they make it up to 20#.