Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Who else went to the classic?

How many of you on here went to the weigh in when the classic was held in louisville the year George Cochran won it? I guess that still holds the record for least amount of weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who else went to the classic?

Quote Originally Posted by dac244 View Post
    How many of you on here went to the weigh in when the classic was held in louisville the year George Cochran won it? I guess that still holds the record for least amount of weight.
    I was there and Cochran's weight held the record until KVD won in Pittsburgh 2005 with 12-15, beating the old record by 2 pounds 10 ounces. It is funny to think of that Classic and to go now with all the hype and things that accompany the Classic nowdays. In 1987 in Louisville I can't remember if there was an outdoor expo like there is now. We also drove up to Cincy in 1983 for the final day of the Classic and watched Larry Nixon win.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    I was there and Cochran's weight held the record until KVD won in Pittsburgh 2005 with 12-15, beating the old record by 2 pounds 10 ounces. It is funny to think of that Classic and to go now with all the hype and things that accompany the Classic nowdays. In 1987 in Louisville I can't remember if there was an outdoor expo like there is now. We also drove up to Cincy in 1983 for the final day of the Classic and watched Larry Nixon win.
    They had an expo inside the fair and exposition center and I believe that was it cause remember the weigh in was at freedom hall.

Post Thanks / Like

My dad took me to that weight in at Freedom Hall. I was 6 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post

Okay I was wondering. I still don't remember going to the expo but I am sure we did. I mostly remember the low weights, Cochran winning and the fact that my cousin was one of the drivers who hauled the boats to and from the launch.

Post Thanks / Like

Remember it well, Hank Parker entered Freedom Hall with a paper bag over his head embarrassed about getting skunked, a lot of those guys were humbled. I think that was the first time that BASS pulled the boats into the arena for the weigh-in.

A group of us set on the bank watching George Cochran fishing 100 yards away - the boats weren't wrapped and identified like they are now so we didn't know that's who it was, I watched him with a set of binoculars trained on him for an hour and couldn't figure out what he was fishing with, he was a machine, the lure was never out of the water long enough to ID it!

Gary Klein had the weight to win but couldn?t lock through McAlpine in time to win . . .

I don't remember an Expo.
    Last edited by ElectricSLT; 02-09-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Added expo comment

Post Thanks / Like

Was the take off at Cox's Park? I can't remember for sure but I believe it was.

Post Thanks / Like

I was there but I don't really remember it too well. I talked with Gary Klein this past summer at length about that very Classic (The Lockmaster really sits in his craw).

Post Thanks / Like

Take off was at Cox's park-George Cochran stayed within sight of ramp rather than run...

Post Thanks / Like

I took off from work everyday to go. Friend of mine took his young son who asked the pros for autographs. Every pro he asked except one gave him an autograph. Guess which great American fisherman refused. Of course Klein is still upset, he had the classic won the first day. But he was dealing with the "CORP", the gov of the gov, by the gov and for the gov.,the great and mighty! I can't understand why BASS didn't allow the pros who wanted to go down the river to take out at New Albany and take the "CORP" out of the picture????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I took off from work everyday to go. Friend of mine took his young son who asked the pros for autographs. Every pro he asked except one gave him an autograph. Guess which great American fisherman refused. Of course Klein is still upset, he had the classic won the first day. But he was dealing with the "CORP", the gov of the gov, by the gov and for the gov.,the great and mighty! I can't understand why BASS didn't allow the pros who wanted to go down the river to take out at New Albany and take the "CORP" out of the picture????
    Surely not ole roland.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I think it would be an unfair advantage if they didn't take out at the same spot. It would give the guys who locked through a longer fishing day because they would not have to go back through the locks.